The Luna Trials

Warning:  This chapter contains mature content!

I held Liam's hand as he led me to the pack grounds. Today, I would be taking part in the Luna Trials I had been preparing for the last two weeks. My parents weren't going to be here, and I appreciated it. If I didn't make it, I didn't want them to think I was weak as well.

Liam squeezed my hand. "Your parents won't think that you are weak. Besides, I am the judge of the competition. You have nothing to worry about." I smiled at him, then frowned.

"I don't want you to stop the challenge after five minutes, though. I want to prove that I am not the frail little wolf that hardly stands a chance as survival because of how she was born." He nodded in understanding, pulling me in for a quick kiss. We had been kissing more over the course of the last two weeks, and I felt more comfortable around him. It was nice being able to trust him.

We arrived at the pack grounds and stopped. Macy stepped up to me, hugging me. "Good luck. I bet on you. Please make me win." She grinned, and I asked her exactly how much she had to lose when Liam called everyone to attention.

"We have gathered here today," his voice boomed across the grounds, "to welcome Arden into this pack as your Luna. She is going to partake in the Luna Trials. The rules are the same as always: if anybody wants to challenge her for the title as Luna, she may. However, this is a fight in human form. If either party changes into their wolf form during their fight, their opponent immediately takes the title for themselves."

It was deadly silent. Not one single pack member dared to speak.

"Now, whoever wants to challenge Arden for the title of this pack's and my Luna, may come forward." Nobody moved, and I breathed out inaudibly. Then a shift happened in the crowd. A female around my age, if not a few years older pushed her way towards us. I recognized her as the rude nurse at the hospital, Alexis.

Liam and I shared a look, and I nodded. "I accept the challenge," I called out, and murmuring broke out across the pack.

"Silence. The challenge has been accepted. The first one to draw blood is going to become Luna. May the Goddess bless this Trial and the future Luna of this pack." Liam stepped back and a circle of chalk was drawn on the matted ground.

Alexis and I stepped into the ring, the crowd around us becoming silent in anticipation. I looked back at Liam, Macy, and Jay. Macy was grinning at me, both her thumbs raised in the air. Jay had his arms crossed and was looking at Macy. And Liam, he was watching me and gave me a reassuring smile. I smiled back at him, turning to face Alexis.

We locked eyes, and she growled at me. I didn't understand why she didn't like me, but then I followed her momentarily averted gaze to where my mate was standing. This time I growled. It was low but powerful, and multiple pack members exposed their necks at me.

"Are you ready?" Liam called, and the crowd cheered. "Alright then. Fight!" I barely had time to register Liam's words when Alexis jumped me. I swung my foot out, catching her ankles and making her topple to the ground. Quickly, I straddled her hips, and she growled, spitting at me. I dodged the spit and snarled at her. My wolf was getting close to the surface already and we hadn't even been in the ring for a minute.

I hated fighting with others, but when I had to, I always made sure it was one hundred percent. Grabbing Alexis' shoulders, I lifted her torso off of the ground, before slamming her down again.

Alexis managed to buck me off and stod. Now, we were left to circling each other. I could hear Jay announce how much time we had left. It seemed like an eternity.