I promise

Warning: This chapter contains mature content!

To say that I was nervous about Liam coming to my old pack would have been the understatement of the century. A sense of dread set into my stomach when I saw his car pulling up to my parent's home. Noah was standing next to me, somehow sensing the turmoil that was going on inside my head.

"What's wrong, Arden?" he asked, his hand gently brushing my arm. Had Liam seen that, Noah would be a few feet shorter.

"I don't think I can face him. I feel so ashamed about not talking to him sooner, and now he drove all the way here to see me. I am a horrible mate." I looked down at the floor, tears of guilt simmering in my eyes. Soon, they would spill.

"You are strong enough to face him, Arden. Just because you had a little fall-out doesn't mean he won't forgive you. Just talk to him and see what he says. Everything will be alright." I nodded, hoping that Noah was right.

But when Liam stepped out of the car, all my fears returned with full force, and I bolted, shifting into my wolf form. I could hear multiple people calling after me, but I didn't turn around. My demons were riding me hard, and I didn't know if I could let Liam see this side of me.

The pack grounds around me blurred with the speed I was running in, yet I couldn't find it in myself to slow down much rather stop.

My ears picked up the sound of paws hitting the ground after me, and I hurried my pace even more, much more than I ever thought was possible.

Weaving between trees, I tried to evade my stalker predator, yet was tackled to the floor roughly, Liam's wolf growling at me, his anger fueling his feelings.

I didn't move from my spot on the forest ground, my eyes shut tightly and shivering in fear. He scared me, his wolf being in control, my mate nowhere to be found in his growls and actions.

A second wolf seemed to have joined because Liam's wolf collapsed onto me, protecting me. "I am not here to hurt her, Alpha Liam. I just brought some clothes for you to wear when you shift back to your human form." Noah.

After a few minutes of silence, Noah's footsteps grew distant, and Liam's wolf relaxed somewhat. I could tell that he was still quite upset, yet he didn't growl at me as much and seemed to be regaining his power over his wolf. I creaked an eye open to make sure.

I watched as Liam pulled himself off of me, shifting before my eyes. "Get up and dressed," he huffed out, walking towards the clothes and throwing mine at my paws. He grabbed some for himself before disappearing behind a tree to change.

I knew it wasn't fair to be hurt by that, but his action still stung. Getting to my feet, I looked at the clothes, grabbing them in my snout and hurrying behind a tree myself.

Once dressed, I stepped back out, coming face to face with Liam. He leveled me with an angry expression, and I hung my head in shame.

Liam took two long strides, reaching out his hand and pulling me flush against him. Perplexed, I didn't return his hug. "Don't ever run away from me again," he said, his voice cracking with emotion.

"I am so sorry, Liam. I- I don't know what came over me. Suddenly, I was just so scared that you wouldn't understand and judge me for..." he cut me off, pressing his mouth against mine in a rushed and heated kiss.

I tried to break away from him, but he held my face in an iron grip, making me walk backward until my back hit the trunk of a tree and I was trapped.

"Liam, stop," I said, trying to push him away when he released my mouth, trailing his lips down my neck. He didn't budge, and in the next second, I felt his canines piercing my skin, screaming out in pain. Forced marking was one of the most painful things that could happen to a wolf.