Cloudy Vision

On the short stomp home after leaving Aliah's, all I can think about is how much she bothers me. I wish I could say it's only because she's mean. She is, definitely, but I know that's not the thing that really made me upset. It was all the stuff her family has, all the food and all the solid chairs... how come she has so much and the rest of us have so little?

Grrrrr. I rush into the house, almost tripping over Crinae who's sitting in the middle of the floor.

"Why do you always do that?" I say, giving her a kick. A tiny, little-not-really-a-kick tap with my foot.

"Mom!!"

Mom comes into the living room from the corridor. She doesn't resemble Aliah's mother in any shape or form. My mother's clothes are ripped. Not like Aliah's mother. My mother has chapped and calloused hands. Not like Aliah's mother. Nothing about my mother is as glamorous as Aliah's mother.

"Naia, leave your sister alone. If you misbehave one more time this week, you won't get any water lessons."

I want to tell Mom about Aliah's family. I want to ask her why they have so much and we have so little. But that's only going to make Mom feel sad.

"What's going on with you?" asks Mom.

"Nothing," I say, shuffling my feet.

Lots of things are wrong but I don't feel like talking about it and giving her yet another burden.

"Talking about it will make you feel better," coaxes Mom.

"No, it won't. Syon likes Aliah and she's got all this stuff and we've got nothing and he won't ever want to come here again."

"Oh Naia," says Mom, patting my shoulder. "Syon doesn't care what's in Aliah's house. I'm sure you will see him again. Besides, Syon has enough to worry about. I bet he isn't even thinking about Aliah with his mother and aunt gone."

"Told you that you liked him!" gloats Crinae.

"Shut up!" I say as I reach out to hit her.

"Both of you – that's enough!" says Mom, grabbing my arm.

Crinae manages to stick her tongue out at me behind Mom's back. I don't say anything though. I'm the mature one. (I think?) So I stick my tongue out back at her. (Maybe not.)

"I want you to steer clear of Aliah and her family," says Mom. "They have way too much money. Selling chickens doesn't get you manicures."

"Manicures?" I ask.

Mom's distracted by the door opening.

"Dad!"

Crinae and I rush in to tell him about the day's event but we slow once we reach our father's side. Is that him? Dad's face does not look like Dad's face. One of his eyes is swollen shut and his cheeks are the side of small boulders. The voice that escapes through thick, puffy lips sounds like him.

"My girls. Hello."

"Dmitri!" cries out Mom loud enough that Elody comes rushing out of our room. She takes one look at Dad and begins to wail. Huge tears run down her face

"It's okay, Elody. It's just me – Dad."

Once she hears his voice, the tears stop and she gives him a hug.

"Thanks, Elody," he says softly, patting her head. Dad peers at us through swollen eyelids. "It looks worse than it is. Nothing's broken."

"That's a relief," replies my mother sarcastically. "Did anyone see you come in?"

"I don't think so."

"Well, I've got to get you fixed up. Where are you hurt?"

"Don't worry, Peggy. There's nothing really you can do for me."