Chapter 18

Sorry it's been a minute. I've been pretty busy! A couple of things.

One: The first couple of chapters of "Brain & Heart," which is Violet and Sierra's novella, is up! Trying to get most of these stories up and done in a timely manner.

Two: I should be speeding up this story now that I've got most of it figured out. Sorry for the delay! A bit more obsession in this chapter. Love you guys. -Rae

- Mid June, 2045 - (Eleven months ago)

Jamie's desk was a mess of research books, notes, and even some supplies. It was close to three in the morning, and he knew that he should probably get some sleep, but he couldn't, so he decided to work on one of his projects while listening to music and podcasts. He opened a small vial of fragrance, then brought it close to his nose and took a small sniff.

Lavender. A scent almost as beautiful as her.

He screwed the lid back onto it and picked up his pen, starting to write more notes down. It had been a little more than a week since the incident in the alley, and Jamie took a lot of time to appreciate the smaller details of his life after almost losing it. He met up with his moms, then made plans to hang out with them again. He listened to the usual, chaotic bustle of the coffee shop whenever he worked and felt grateful.

Mostly, he was grateful for Daija and that she saved him. She had been working a lot more lately, more than likely distracting herself, but she always said that she didn't mind being a little extra busy during the summer while she was out of school. Every now and then during their shifts, she'd face him and smile softly, and when he asked what it was, she told him that she was happy that he was here, safe and sound.

He so badly wanted to tell her how he felt about her, but he knew couldn't with Simon still in the way of everything. At the thought of him, Jamie found himself gripping his pen too hard. He started breathing slowly, trying to let the anger go as fast as it came. As he focused on the motivational podcast that had started playing, he heard the host ask, "What do you want most?"

I want her.

Jamie started writing again. Some of the writing was notes for his project, the rest of it was wild desires he'd never speak out loud.

I want her to want me.

He crossed out a few things and started a new paragraph, also making a list of more things he needed and even more things he had to research.

I want her to be mine.

A loud sigh escaped him. He couldn't focus, especially not like this. When he checked his phone, he shrugged and started putting things away, deciding that he would try falling asleep again.

-----

Jamie took a sip of the sugary concoction he made and smiled softly. It tasted just like cotton candy. Lately, he'd been playing around with the ingredients at the coffee shop and made a few new drinks. When Devin saw it, he congratulated him and happily made them into regular menu items, and the new drinks were trending on social media.

What made him happiest was how he felt afterwards. He was used to doing creative work for the heroes and feeling so drained and dissatisfied later, but here, he felt more upbeat and accomplished.

The clock hit one in the afternoon, and he looked over the counter and towards the front door, waiting for Daija to walk in at any second. But, she wasn't there. Hazel was cleaning up tables and Devin was changing some posters around.

Weird. She's always early or right on time, he thought to himself.

"Taking a break," he called to Devin, and he went into the backroom to pull out his phone, typing in the number he knew by heart. He held the phone to his ear and waited until the line connected.