Chapter 49

- Late June, 2045 - (Eleven months ago)

"It's been a while since you came," Lionel started with his usual smile. However, it was a little hesitant. "How has everything been?"

Truthfully, Jamie didn't know why he was there. Soon, he and Justin would be on his way to OpalSpace. It was the night of the gala, and the night they initiated their plan.

Well, he would initiate a different plan than Justin. A part of him felt bad for plotting his brother's demise, but he'd be in the way of his goal once the night was up, and he'd cause problems with Daija. If there was a chance to get him out of the way and take Simon out of the equation, he'd take it.

"Sorry that it's been a while," he muttered as he rested in the seat in Lionel's office. "I've been busy helping my brother."

Lionel seemed surprised at that, but before he could ask any follow-up questions, Jamie couldn't meet his eyes. "I've been lying to you."

He could tell that the surprise shifted into concern, but Lionel kept his voice level. "...Lying about what?"

"A lot. Way too much, actually." Now that Jamie was admitting it, he wondered how far he would've gotten if he had just been honest. How much better would he have felt if he spoke up, told the truth and didn't try to fix everything on his own.

"Don't blame yourself," Jamie said in a voice low enough to be whisper. "Unfortunately, I've convinced the people around me that things are handled. It'd be selfish of me or anyone else to start blaming you."

"Jamie."

The sad, subtle shift in Lionel's tone caused him to look up. "I won't judge you for lying. If it's true things are worse, then we should change our approach to make sure you're getting what you need out of these sessions. My goal is to help you. Or, if you feel like we're not a good fit, you also need to let me know so we can take the necessary steps and get you with someone who you're more compatible with."

The only thing I need to succeed tonight. That's all.

"I can't be here long," Jamie admitted. "I have somewhere to be later."

"Would you like to schedule for later on this week? I have openings."

No, because I need to make sure Daija remains with me after tonight. Jamie shook his head slowly and looked away once more. "I don't think I'll be able to."

Lionel studied him with curious eyes. "What do you mean when you say you need to make sure that Daija remains with you?" he asked carefully, and Jamie stiffened for a few seconds when he realized that he said his thoughts out loud again. For fuck's sake, this was such a problem.

"Friends and I are planning a surprise for her, and I have to keep her distracted so she doesn't see what the others are up to," he said calmly.

Jamie could tell that he didn't believe him for a second, but he didn't directly address it. "You mentioned helping your brother earlier," Lionel said slowly. "Does that mean you two have reconciled?"

"I don't think reconciliation would ever be possible," he said truthfully, and when Lionel said nothing in response, Jamie observed him, then told him, "You're worried."

"A bit, yes. Safety is a priority."

"I'm certain that Justin won't do anything. Also, I'm not planning to hurt myself if that's what you're thinking," he said. He knew that Lionel would have to break confidentiality and report to authorities if he even suspected that he had a solid plan.

"Not just your safety."

The phrase was a simple reminder, but Jamie knew what it implied. A part of him wanted to tell Lionel that things were fine again, but he also knew that it could make it worse, plus he was so tired and he wanted to save as much energy as he could for later.