Chapter 26

- Mid June, 2045 - (Eleven months ago)

Jamie should have known that things going too well indicated that everything would fall apart shortly.

Base A was raided, and Daija's danger sense failed to alert them of it. That only meant that she trusted Simon so much that he's not considered a danger to her. Even though the night was insane, everyone made it out alive despite their injuries. Plus, he had successfully managed to get Aniya's files from her while keeping them from Simon.

Then Daija caught on that something was off while he was dropping her off at home. While she was relieved that she could find out more about her father, Jamie knew that she was more worried about him and what he could potentially be hiding. He knew that it was time for them to both be honest with each other, and if she wouldn't initiate it, then he would.

So, that very next morning, he confronted her in the empty coffee shop and revealed that he knew her motives. He had tried hard to stop himself from lashing out in anger, and he tried to find small ways to reassure her that they were on the same side, but she was still afraid. And when Jamie's heart nearly shattered at the sight of the tears that glistened in her eyes, he almost unraveled right then and there.

But the two of them talked. Daija revealed that she wouldn't have been there if it weren't for her aunt, and how she unhealthily keeps her pain to herself if it meant the people around her would be happy. She asked him how he felt about revenge, and that was what worried him the most. Her getting revenge just once would set her off entirely.

As much as he hated Justin, taking brutal revenge with his own hands was something he couldn't stomach. Parts of Jamie fully believed that his brother deserved nothing but a world of pain, but the other parts were still keeping from doing anything. When he told Daija that he didn't understand why Justin hated him when he did nothing but be a sibling, her words stuck in his mind.

"Power is a fucked up thing, Jamie, and I'm not just talking about superhuman abilities. Once people have it, they become addicted to it, and they'll hurt others because of it."

They stuck in his mind, then unraveled him completely. A part of him broke, and before he could leave the shop to deal with himself privately, Daija had wrapped her arms around him and comforted him, trying to hold back her own tears but failing. "What happened had everything to do with him and nothing to do with you. He knew what he was doing, and you didn't understand."

He had wished he met Daija when he was a teenager, and he bet that they both would've felt better with each other around. At the moment, he didn't think about Simon's feelings for her, how the heroes were under severe panic or how Kunross was descending into chaos by the hour.

He allowed himself to be vulnerable with the only person on the planet that understood every inch of him.

Then it all went wrong. First, Justin revealed that Aniya was hiding money from the rest of the heroes. Then he and Daija watched a meeting take place at the facility. A meeting with Simon. Aniya was desperate to retrieve the stolen files that she believed he had, but Simon only had one price for them. Daija.

When Aniya gave in, the burst of happiness that Jamie felt disappeared entirely. It seemed that Simon was more than prepared to steal Daija away, because he called her soon after; victorious and excited. After a few flirty innuendos that made Jamie's stomach twist, Simon said something about Daija getting some space from her routine.

Two whole weeks.

Fourteen days was more than enough time for Simon to influence her, and even encourage her to use her powers recklessly. If she gives into it -- into him -- then Kunross wouldn't stand a chance. Even though Jamie hated the city, he was desperate to save it. Simon and Daija together would bring its end.