Chapter 25

Sorry it's been a while, babes. <3

- Early March, 2046 (Two months ago) -

"Do you need another ice pack?" Tony asked.

Jamie softly shook his head as he tried to fight the urge to wince every time he used his bruised hand. Most times, he failed, but he often took the pain as a reminder that fighting sucks, and to avoid it at all costs. He didn't know how other people loved it so much.

As he tried to focus on his work, all Jamie could think of was Daija's words from the day before when he asked her why she didn't kill him yet.

"Because I already have."

"If it makes you feel better, Kendrick died a very painful death." The nonchalance in Tony's voice made a shiver go down Jamie's spine. He hated how gruesome murder was such a normal thing here. "It's been a long, long time since Austin lost his shit like that."

Jamie thought of how Austin faced Kendrick in the training room with nothing but the promise of a violent death in his eyes and gulped. Even though he hated Kendrick, he wouldn't wish for him or anyone to be tortured to death by anyone of Daija and Simon's circle.

"Is Celena okay?" He asked. He remembered how she was shaking after the fight, like she was moments from bursting into tears but remaining strong.

"She's better today."

That's a relief.

He was worried about the next day when he would have to face his friends. What would he tell them? That he got lost in his own mind and let his rage get the best of him? He wanted so badly to tell them that he wasn't who they thought he was, that he was Jamie instead of Jason and he's petrified that he's going to be murdered at any second.

Or worse, he'd have to kill someone again. The memory of him slitting a man's throat in the lower units resurfaced, and he felt like he was one more awful flashback from throwing up.

Tony's phone rang, and he dug it out of his pocket and answered, holding the device to his ear. "Hello? ...Oh! Hi, Mrs. Reid. How are you?"

Jamie's heart started beating faster. Valerie.

Right on cue, Tony's eyes widened as he shakily asked, "You want me to bring him now? A-Alright, sure. We're on our way."

When he hung up, he faced him as he put his phone back into his pocket. "Valerie just called. She wants to see you immediately."

"Am I in trouble?"

"I don't know, man. She sounded calm, but if I learned anything about the Reids, it's that them being calm is way more fucking terrifying than them screaming."

Fuck.

------

Jamie felt dizzy during the walk to a spacious office. Tony led him there, giving him pointers on what to do and what to say. "Don't lie to her and don't talk over her. I'll be there with you, but I'm more than certain that I won't be able to talk unless she says something to me directly, especially when she's in business mode like this."

"Okay," he said, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself.

A henchman outside of the office opened the door for them, and they both walked in. Valerie Reid was sitting on top of a large desk waiting for them. She wore an emerald green dress that came to her knees, and her hair was down, kept out of her face with a green headband.

"Have a seat," she said. The tone of her voice made Jamie start to sweat. When he and Tony sat down, the only sound that filled the space of the office was her nails tapping against the wooden desk.