Please, just hear me out

Moving to close her front door Jamie was stopped by Steve's large hand holding it open. Even knowing she wouldn't be able to budge him out of her way she still tried to close it for a second. Frustration and concern warred in Steve's deep voice as he begged her to let him in. "Please, just hear me out."

"There's nothing to talk about, Steve. Whether or not you changed your mind I have nothing to say to you." Looking up into his face for the first time in months every second of their last meeting came rolling back to hit her hard. The betrayal he had planned on committing lanced through her already battered and bruised heart making it hard for Jamie to breathe. It felt like that day all over again as she stared up into his ocean blue eyes.

::::

October 28, 2023

Meandering down the long hallways of the Tower Jamie searched out Steve to check in with him and the others. With everything that had happened in the days following the Avengers defeat of Thanos she'd spent every spare minute with Mathew, Peter, May and Ned. She knew he understood how it was because he was doing the same with Bucky, Sam and all of the others who'd been snapped. They hadn't come out of the battle completely unscathed. They'd lost Nat in the search for the stones and no one could really believe it was real. That she wouldn't saunter in with that smirk of hers and a sassy quip at any second. Pausing at the entrance of the living room Jamie's breath hitched at all of the memories she had with Natasha in this very room.

When she didn't have time to head all the way out to the Compound she'd meet up with the Russian for drinks and girl talk or a movie nights either here or at her apartment. There were many days and nights where they talked about their pasts as they got to know each other. It was at Natasha's urging that she begin training. Well more like a demand. One that Jamie hadn't been able to say no to. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly she wiped at her eyes before continuing on her way looking for the handsome blonde Captain. Still caught up in her grief over losing Nat, Jamie didn't realize she had come upon him and his friend until she heard the man say Steve's name.

Smiling, Jamie was about to knock on the door to what must have been Bucky's room when what they were talking about filtered through the open crack in the door. Her smile faded at the other man's words. "What do you mean you're going to go back to the 40s? You don't belong there. Neither of us do anymore, Steve. And I can tell you know that it won't be like what you hope it'll be. She moved on after you left, pal. You need to let her go." What the hell. Steve was going to abandon them all to go back in time for a chick that already had a family?

Holding her breath she listened to Steve as he tried to explain himself to his other best friend. "It's exactly like I said, Buck. I've tried living in this time. I really have, but no matter how much good I've done I still don't feel like I belong. Peg and I… we never got our chance and I want that. Call it selfish, but I love her and want to spend what's left of my life with her." There was a slight pause before Steve spoke again trying to understand and for Bucky to let him go. "I don't want to leave you behind, but I think this is what's best for me. You belong here more than I do, Buck. Besides, it's not like you'll be on your own. With Sam, Tony and Dr Rayner to help you'll be fine. Please don't say anything to the others. It'll be easier for them to deal with after it's already done."

At the sound of footsteps coming closer and the two men saying their goodbyes Jamie carefully tiptoed past the door and booked it to Steve's room a couple doors down the hall. Closing the door behind her Jamie took a few steps to the side before she slid to the floor with her back against the wall. Mind racing, she thought about what it was Steve was going to do tomorrow. He was supposed to be going back through time to return the stones from where they got them. Apparently he was going to stay in what used to be his and Bucky's time. She might have understood his decision a little better had he talked to her about it. But to do this? This plan of his? There was no way she couldn't get behind or understand it.