Taking a break

The sound of Jamie's alarm going off at 5:30 AM made Bucky aware that he hadn't gotten any sleep at all last night. Rolling over onto his side before sitting up he was careful to not disturb Alpine who was curled up on his pillow. Leaning his back against the window seat he huffed out an exhausted breath as the sounds of her footsteps moved from the bed to the bathroom then to her closet. She must have an early photoshoot today, he thought to himself. In the little time he'd gotten to know her he knew if she could she would like to sleep in. Being up this early meant she had a job.

He sat quietly in his room as she walked into the hall and passed his door to her development room. The heels of her boots lighty clicked on the hardwood floors as she tried to not wake him up. Listening in amusement as she mumbled to herself as she packed up the camera's and other equipment she would need. He waited like a coward until the sound of the front door closed and the locks could be heard before he left his room to make himself a large pot of extra strong coffee. Not that it would do him any good, but at least it was something to do.

Unsure when she would be back, Buck decided that it was probably a good idea for him to get out of the apartment for a while. Maybe after he checked in at the Tower he would go see if Yori wanted to have lunch. Maybe today would be the day that he told that poor man the truth about his son's death..

After a quick breakfast of oatmeal and fruit he went back to his room to get dressed and pack up Alpine. If he was going to be gone all day he didn't want to leave her alone in this big apartment all by herself. Staring down at the peacefully sleeping feline he hated to wake her up, but if he was being honest with himself he wanted her close today. Crouching down Bucky gently petted her silky soft white fur. "Ally, come on, sweetheart. Time to get up, we're going on a field trip."

At her indignant meow she stretched as she let out a big yawn, he smiled fondly at her. Looking up at him with her big bright blue eyes as if to say, 'If I must', Alpine got up to bump her head into his hand for more pets.

"Good girl, come on." Picking her up, Bucky placed her in the little backpack carrier that had been a part of Jamie's other surprise the day he moved in. She'd bought the carrier, toys, treats and all manner of other stuff for the kitten that they would need. Grabbing his gym bag he slung it over his shoulder as he carefully lifted Alpine up and onto the other.

Making sure the apartment was locked up he made his way downstairs. This early he didn't have to worry about neighbors filling up the small space of the elevator on their way to work and school. Thankful for this small reprieve he stood there with his eyes closed thinking about what he was going to do with his developing feelings for Jamie. Bucky could be friends with her. It would be hard for a while, but he thought that he could do it. Maybe he could talk to Dr Rayner about it? Yeah, no way in hell was he going to do that.

:::::::

It was nearly 7:30 AM when Steve drug a reluctant Sam into the gym complaining about it being too early to workout. "Stop complaining. You have to admit that working out first thing gets you pumped for the rest of the day."

Mumbling that he'd get him back for the rude wakeup call Sam's ears picked up the soft grunt's and the clink of a machine before seeing the fluffy white ball of fluff that belonged to Bucky. "Buck, what are you doing here so early?"

The clink of the weight bar as the super soldier set it back in place was as quiet as the man who was holding it. Sitting up, Bucky's tired eyes shifted over to his friends. "What's it look like I'm doing, Wilson?"

"Come on, Buck, don't be like that." Steve says leaning down to pick up the kitten to pet her much to her pleasure. Her purring was surprisingly loud for something so small. Sighing he stood up, wiped down the bench and strode over to grab the roll of tape to wrap his hand that was on the bench near his gym bag. Keeping his eyes on his task he apologized.