e l e v e n

'And then it all went black. I remember hearing Rosie crying, Mom yelling something, the sound of an ambulance, then nothing. But I'm okay! Totally okay. A little shaken, but on the plus side....' I told Dad.

'Look, I got a bruise on my arm that's in the shape of a dinosaur.' Zoe showed him.

'And I have a cut on my arm that is a straight line. There was probably something sharp on them.' I added.

'Now, Zoe, Aubrey. As your father it's my duty to tell you that going after those thieves was dangerous, and reckless and--.' Dad started.

'We had no choice.' Zoe told him.

'And seriously... awesome.' Dad laughed. 'Do not tell your mother I said that.'

'Oh, I'll go get her. You can tell her yourself.' Rosie said, getting up and leaving the room for my mom.

'No, no, no. Rosie, I-- I didn't mean...' Dad spoke too slow.

'We miss you, Dad.' I said to the screen.

'I miss you, too, sweetheart.' Dad replied.

'Mom said she'll catch up with you later.' Rosie sounded disappointed.

'Later?' Dad asked.
'I gotta go to bed. I'm missing out on my beauty sleep.'

'I think it's a little too late for that.' I told him.

'Wise guy, huh?' Dad laughed.
'Hey, show me-- show me that bruise again.'

Zoe lifted her arm up. 'Can you see it?'

'Mmm. Brontosaurus. Uh... T. Rex.' Dad listed dinosaurs.

'Personally I think it looks more like a poop emoji.' Rosie told him.

'Wow. You're right. You have poop on your arm.' Dad said, making me and Rosie giggle.

'No!' Zoe disagreed.

____________________

I walked back upstairs and into my room whilst Zoe went into hers. Set on my bed was a round box that I do not own.

'Oh. Well, hello mystery box. What are your offers?' I joked around.

'I know you have a million questions.' Mom suddenly appeared at the doorway.

'Why were you riding last night, Mom? Is something going on with you and that Elliot guy?' I asked. 

'Elliot?' Mom laughed. 'No. No. We knee eachother when we were kids. I told him I wanted to try riding again. He was just helping me out.' Mom said.

'You used to ride?' I asked.

'A long time ago.'

'Why'd you stop?'

'Lost interest, I guess. I lost my nerve, maybe. It's been pretty hard seeing you fall in love with it the way I did.'

'It's just you and me, Mom. Tell me.'

'I used to have a horse. Emerald.' Mom started.

'Emerald?' Rosie's voice could be heard.
'E's a horse. Gramps, it's all okay. E is just a horse.'

'Okay.. Now it's just you and me.' I stated loudly.
'What happened to Emerald?'

'There was an accident. We were both badly hurt.' Mom finished.

'Is that why you don't want me and Zoe to ride?' I asked.

'Open it.' Mom nodded to the box. I hesitated but opened the wooden box and saw a black velvet helmet. I looked to the back of the helmet and saw Mom's named embroided on a piece of silk sewn to the back of the helmet.
'That's why I was riding. I thought if I could get over my own fears, it would help me accept that you're going to ride wether I like it or not. Zoe got the other set I had. A blue velvet one.'