Prologue

This is a time of darkness and blood.

A time of endless conflict where the Legions of the republic march across Maja to wage war on the many foes that are intent on our destruction.

  The Empress, light bless her soul, has fallen. Sacrificing her life to save the Republic in a final battle against the Krakons, a furious race of extraterrestrial reptiles that laid siege to our planet. From their defeat, and despite the heavy price we paid, we gained their technology that is beyond our comprehension, we gained power, and most importantly an edge over the fearsome hordes of beings that threaten to overwhelm and obliterate us. Despite all the bloodshed, fury and death, there would be those among us who rose against the dying of the light, against the coming black dawn.

   Those willing to stand in the eye of the storm and fight to defend our homeland from being swept away by this tide of destruction. At the center of our Republic lies the gleaming capital of Zerzura, a colossal pillar city standing as a shining testament to the Republic's technological achievement and wealth. From Zerzura all the rest of the Republic is connected, cutting through Maja by way of the Emperor's roads, linking desert palaces in the Burning Sands with the great lodges in the Forests of Gloom. From the cloud shrouded peaks of the Cascading Spears to the many thousands of settled estates that have been carved out of the hostile landscape.

  However, Maja does not give any of this for free. It must be held with the price of blood. The Nilth, Fangbats, and Werekin stalk us through the wild jungles, seizing the unwary and ill-prepared. On the Eastern frontier rampaging Swinefolk battleherds descend upon Republic settlements, pillaging the wealth of the brave citizens who call those lands home. Dark Magi descend from the north at the helm of infernal armies, enslaving and razing everything they find; their hatred for the Republic burning with a fury that smolders in their very souls. To the South rumors have spread of ancient Fungal Aborrents reemerging to spread their mycelial networks towards us. Now we receive reports that the Accursed Sleeping Lords once again stir in their forgotten palaces deep in the untamed jungle.

But, we fear naught!

Across the Republic, temples train powerful Awakened who can call down pillars of empyrean fire to incinerate our foes, or crush our enemies with their manifestations of will! Our shining, growing Legions are outfitted with the best weapons and armor our engineers can forge - a bulwark against all invaders. Brave Pathwardens defend our roads and ensure that commerce and travel is protected. The graceful lords and ladies with their valiant knights rule over the settled estates in the wild parts of Maja which feed the whole Republic and keep the engines of the economy fueled with resources. Merchants transport the raw goods along the Emperor's roads, in massive airships, by hover-rail and upon the rivers to civilization and the pillar cities.

Now from within the spiral of light a new Emperor has been reborn, and atop his throne in Zerzura and under his leadership we shall face any challenge that emerges from out of the jungles or the stars above! We have become prosperous and strong once again!

May the Republic continue another 10,000 cycles!

State of the Republic: Collected Works

Historian Jubilee Taete, Illuminated