Chapter 34: "Don't Be Gentle With Him."

While Moloch and Krasus had been talking with Septimus the survivors dragged out the unconscious Rofoscue, and clapped an incapacitation collar on him. After the two Centurions had emerged from the hole, and made it back up to street level, they saw him passed out and laid against a grimy wall, his wet robe wrapped around himself.

Moloch was sure if he woke up he wouldn't try to run away, but it seemed like poetic justice to fetter him in the same way as his employees.

Salazaar and the other Legionnaires sat around him, just to make sure he didn't try anything.

Potter, despite losing part of his leg, was seated apart from the others and was occupied with cleaning the standard, and removing any blood and grime that had stained it. Moloch could see that he was taking the loss of Nassim hard. Moloch had had countless interactions with the standard spirit over the cycles and he was fond of him. But for Potter, he and Nassim had been like best friends. Moloch had even seen him spending his leisure time at the Standard shrine, laughing, singing and talking with Nassim.

"Are you doing okay?" Moloch asked Potter as he walked over to him.

"I'm still here, Centurion, but I wonder where he is right now." Potter said with a faraway look in his misty eyes.

"He's probably just resting Potter. He's just taking a spirit nap, I'm sure he'll come back just like a cat that went for a wander."

"But, without his tether, how does he find his way back home? Jalan said -" Potter started, and started to choke up. Then he fell silent and went back to polishing the metal pole of the standard.

"Paragon Jalan said that other spirits survived." Moloch said and put a hand on Potter's shoulder.

"Speaking of Jalan, congratulations on being the first to be selected by him as his junior. There will be many jealous acolytes and neophytes back at the Temples and Legion Ziggurat now that he is your principal."

"He has blessed me with the ultimate gift." Potter said. "To be selected to be trained by one of the great Awakened, is such a high honor, I don't have the words to express it."

"As one chapter ends, another begins." Moloch said.

"I see you, quoting the spectacles." Potter replied with a thin smile. "Trying to sound all wise."

"You know me better than that." Moloch said with a smile.

He turned to go. "You served with bravery and honor today brother, and so did he." Moloch said, pointing up to indicate Nassim. "We'll be leaving as soon as the cleanup team arrives."

"Thank you, Centurion. He always loved compliments." Potter said, as he turned back to the Legion Standard.

Moloch then walked over to where Krasus had found Trench passed out in the dissimulation tent with a dead Screwtongue, and a half melted Jakob White sprawled in the street.

They carried the unconscious Legionnaire out of the tent and set him with the others.

"I'm sure Trench has a good story about what happened there." Krasus said. "When he wakes up, I can't wait to hear it."

Moloch made his rounds amongst the surviving legionnaires, making sure they had tended their wounds and would be ready to move out when the cleanup team arrived. He finished and squatted down beside Salazaar who was watching Rofoscue with the intensity of a cat waiting outside a mousehole.

"How are you holding up Constable?"

"Been better, Centurion, but all in all it's good to be alive."

Moloch pulled out his injectrix and fiddled with several settings by adjusting the front dials until he was satisfied with the dose he was crafting.