Chapter 33: I Just Have One Regret

As soon as Jalan left, Moloch's intelor began to buzz. "Looks like Legate Septimus is calling."He said to Krasus.

"This should be good." Krasus replied and walked over to join him.

"Legate, I was just about to call you.." Moloch began, but Septimus cut him off.

"Stow it Centurion. Where were you both? I've been stuck on the line with one of the most annoying Senators to ever take the oath of public service." Septimus said as he appeared to stand next to Moloch and Krasus.

"By the void! What happened here?!" His digital form began walking around the battlefield of the chamber.

"Legate, you don't know the half of it."

"Well that will have to wait. We have received a priority one communication from Senator Aventus. He is representing a Drydellian complaint of Legion brutality on the level. "He is on standby waiting to talk with you lads at once. I hope you two have your story straight, because I'm going to be connecting you with him straightaway."

Another figure appeared with them on the sand. He seemed to be a tall male, but his image was out of focus.

"Finally! It is like the Legion, to waste my time! So these are the two Centurions." He spat, putting a special tinge of vitriolic emphasis on the last word.

He did not wait for Moloch and Krasus to reply but continued on with his tirade.

"Centurions that will be brought up on charges, if I have anything to say about it. It is utterly despicable that the Legion would practically invade the sovereign level of Drydellia especially under the false pretenses of a hybrid insurrection." He continued.

"Senator if I may..." Moloch tried to interject.

"You certainly may not! What did you do, Centurion? Find a couple of pleasure clones who gave themselves cat ears and a tail or two and then charge in emitters blazing? Why, I'd eat the hem of my robe if there was even a hybrid that was big enough to pose a threat to any of you! Hrumph! He took a moment to breathe and then made a show of tugging the front of his robe straight, doing it with such efficiency that it had to be a lifelong habit.

"This is just another case of the Legion overstepping their authority and mark my words I will be representing the official drydellian complaint committee against you both in the Senate. Have you ever been to a Senetrial trial Son?"

Legate Septimus finally interrupted him. "Let's not be hasty, Senator. Perhaps you ought to suspend judgment until you've questioned the Centurions."

"Very well Legate." Aventus said thinly as he waved his hand around the chamber. "If my transmission wasn't so blurry, I'd like to look around this room and see your so-called evidence."

Moloch's lips were set in a firm line. "Take your time to adjust your instrument's Senator. We'll wait." He growled out each word slowly as the bruises and cuts on his body began to pulse and itch with discomfort and pain.

Aventus turned from them and spoke to someone off camera. "Someone get over here and make this transmission clear."

Krasus stood with his arms crossed, tapping his foot. "Anytime now Senator." He said, affecting his usual tone of an annoyed nobleman.

"Aventus' blurry face moved towards him. "What was that Centurion? You shall wait on me until I am done with you!" He shouted with his back to them, now facing the wrong way to the intelor sensor.

Krasus smiled and shrugged at Moloch. Apparently this Senator had a very short fuse and no talent whatsoever for using technology.

There was a sizzle of static and then the Senator's face snapped into crystal clear focus. He was an old man, who had a heavy robe draped over his gaunt frame. He had two long wispy bits of white hair which flared out from behind large wrinkly ears. They were a carefully manicured vestige from a youth that had long since passed.