Chapter 5: Perfidy!

The occupants of the Gondola were momentarily frozen in a state of disbelief from what they had just seen, but a shrill cry from above immediately snapped them out of it

"Help me, Salazaar! "Don't let me die like this!" Rofouscue wailed.

"Help me, Salazaar, don't let me die like this!" The creature called out as well, mimicking the speech of Rofoscue's cries, but with an altogether alien tone. Rofoscue's auricular enhancers were still in his ears, and each screech of the creature blasted his ear drums at a deafening volume.

He cried down piteously. "I am your superior!"

"I am your superior!" The creature screeched.

"Aaargghiee!!" Rofoscue screamed, from the pain of the aurial enhancers volume, roaring in his ears.

"AAAIRRGGHIEEEEE!!!" The creature screeched in reply.

Supervisor Rofoscue screamed out again in pain, which the creature was only too happy to mimic as they floated up together into the darkness, cyclically screaming and screeching in delight and pain to each other.

Salazaar stood for a moment, looking up and savoring the Supervisor's predicament.

"I've always wanted to tell him that shutting up would solve most of his problems." Salazaar mused out loud as he hit the control panel to stop the gondola and stepped up to Rofoscue's dais on the prow of the ship.

"Is that a sug?" Krasus asked. "I knew they could get big, but that one is enormous!"

"Yep, it's a Sug. Since the Drydellians keep the level dark all the time, to keep the employees and tourists in the partying mood, they are up there, thriving in the darkness and they can grow huge, with appetites to match." Salazaar said, as he took out a pair of worn night shades from his front pocket and put them on, flipping up the switch to activate their low light vision settings.

"If you don't save me, you are dead!" Supervisor Rofoscue screamed, having totally vanished into the darkness above.

"If you don't save me, you are dead!" The sug also called down.

"Aw, void take it." Salazaar grumbled, as he drew his emitter. He used the crook of his elbow to steady the large pistol as he lined up his dominant eye along the sight picture.

Moloch watched through his helmet's visualizer. At this point, getting off a clean shot would be almost impossible. Supervisor Rofoscue was still wildly thrashing around and the sug still had him firmly in his clutches as it serenely floated and screeched with delight at the prospective meal in its claws.

Salazaar fired. Given how far away the sug was, it was a one in a million shot. The first blast connected with the sug's gas bladder, as did the second, third and fourth. With a woosh, the gas rushed out and the pair began to plummet in a swirling fall of claws and robe towards the rockcrete pavements of the street below. The sug extricated itself from Rofoscue and extended its leathery wings to glide off and away into the darkness, this action sent the supervisor flying towards a small avenue on one of the higher commercial sections that were above the street level.