Chapter one

My name is Mary Stacy and I am eighteen years old. I live in New York City with my aunt May and uncle Ben.

I don't really remember my parents much. They disappeared when I was just an infant and left me on the doorstep of my mother's sister May.

I cant say I love my parents because I don't know them, but sometimes I just wish there's was a person who I could say 'goodnight mom' or 'goodnight dad'.

"Miss Stacy!" Shouted my teacher. I had been zoned out staring at a bird that was eating an old burger out of a trash can. Why would anyone throw out a burger?

"Uh, present." I said, frazzled. A few snickers echoed through the room because of my ditzyness.

"Mary, tell me when the mathematician John Forbes Nash was born." Her teacher instructed. Mary raised her eyebrows and puffed her cheeks, letting out a long sigh as she tapped her pencil on her desk.

"Approximately nine months after he was conceived." I said, causing more snickers to ripple through the room and smirk to play across my face. The teacher narrowed her eyes.

"Correct, but unfortunately we don't count smart-assery in this classroom." Miss Adams snapped. Miss Adams was a single old lady who worked at the same job for more than twenty years, if I was her I'd probably be pretty cranky too.

Miss Adams continued her lesson and I actually put in an effort to pay attention, until the hair's on my arm stood up and goosebumps trailed down my back. Suddenly cranky Miss Adams history lesson didn't concern me anymore.

The ground underneath me shook and my pen rolled off my desk and fell to the floor. Miss Adams shut up amongst the sudden shaking and looked around fearful.

"Earthquake!" Some overly dramatic student shouted. This was no earthquake.

"Get under your desks!" Miss Adams ordered. Everyone in the room, except me, screamed and scrambled under their desk for safety. I rose to my feet and walked past the rows of desks and out of the classroom, ignoring the shouts from Miss Adams.

I ran down the hallway and to the girls bathroom and rushed into the first empty stall. I frantically searched through my bag for my suit and yanked it out of the bag. I quickly stripped out of my clothes, shoved them in my bag, and slipped into my white and black suit.

I made it myself. It had a white hood and arms, but the chest down was all black. The inside of the hood and my elbows was a red spider pattern and my feet were a neon blue.

I shoved my bag behind the toilet and burst out of the bathroom and ran through the school and followed my sixth sense.

I forgot to mention...I'm spiderwoman.
...

I ran out of the school and shot a web to the nearest building and gracfully swung myself off the ground and into the air. Before I could begun falling back down, I'd shoot another web to the next building. Swing. Release. Swing. Release.

I dropped down to the ground and sprinted down the stairwell of the new York subway past screaming people, all of them fearing an earthquake.

People gasped and tripped as they saw me running past them.

I jumped down into the trains tracks and sprinted down the dark tunnel, past screeching rats. Something was down here. The buzzing in my head was getting louder and louder.

I let out a loud groan when I heard a train whistling behind me. I turned and saw the train quickly approaching. You would think they would have them shut down right now..

I shot a web up at the ceiling and clung to the concrete as the train passed by. I jumped down onto the train and stuck tight as it brought me throw the subway system.