05

LUCIA FEARS THE END of the dangerous waltz on eggshells

LUCIA FEARS THE END of the dangerous waltz on eggshells. She doesn't know what will happen in the end, and she is yet to be sure if she wants to know. But that's a problem for another day, as she always tells herself.

"No meetings or lessons for you today Lucia," Tova says, barring her from entering the library where her professor is. "Go outside, touch some grass, and stay away from work. Never thought I would have to tell you that."

"I'll open a window, it's fine," she tries to brush her sister's concerns to the side, for some reason deciding she'll be able to pass her significantly stronger sister.

"Outside, now. Seokjin? Role reversal time," Tova nods to Seokjin who grins one heck of a mischievous grin in return.

"Can do, Crown Princess," and like that, he takes Lucia's hand in his, dragging her outside to perch precariously on egg-shaped stones.

"You are allowed to run now, I'll catch you," his words are quiet, with a hint of arrogance disguising the care and utter fondness Lucia believes to detect. She feels a faint wetness line her eyes as she realizes he feels warm as he says it, his fingers gently leaving her own as she turns back to the garden.

It doesn't take anything more before she's off running, tears in her eyes as she weaves between bushes of dew-painted azaleas and evergreen trees. Distantly, she thinks she recognizes the scene from somewhere before, emerald greens mashed with ruby red fluttering and tickling pink, flowering buds, forest green leaves contrasting against newly watered soil, all of which is being warmed by the warm afternoon sun.

Calloused feet sweep across the egg-shaped stone in an oh-so-familiar waltz, the hum of laughter tickling her chest as she races to the garden edge for the first time in forever. Her white, ankle-long sundress is bunching in her hands to stop it from tangling with her legs as she runs from the distant footsteps behind her.

And something deep in her chest sings of newfound freedom, even when she can practically hear those same three innocent eggs cracking and splattering in a yolky splendor across the kitchen floor, as she allows herself to fall into the warm, burning embrace of lava. The foreign warmth becomes more than a stranger as it sweeps her off the ground, spinning her under the warm afternoon sun. Butterflies flutter and soar, both in the garden and in her heart as she allows for herself to risk being burned from what she tiptoed around for so long.

Laughter bubbles out of her chest, as she is gently let down from the arms of her sir knight. She spins and looks, too inebriated from letting herself fall and run and finally be free, and she meets freshly watered soil with flecks of obsidian and bits of sweet caramel illuminated with life and happiness and something so much more profound. Maybe she is projecting, but she never wants this moment to end when she tackles him, holding him close for one moment longer as she presses her cheek against his chest. His heart thunders at the same fast, erratic pace as hers as they both hold each other tightly with childish grins.

"I'm going to ruin your whole career sir knight," she laughs and Seokjin does the same, his grin wrinkling the corners of his eyes.

"I'd like to see you try, little miss runaway."

"Bet."

And through the garden, they run, again and again, each lingering touch warmer than the one before.

The lava doesn't burn like she thought it would.

THERE IS A BOUNCE in Lucia's every step that she doesn't hide when she enters the common room, stains of green and brown a permanent stain on her white dress. Her sisters look relieved to say the least, even as she plops across from Kal and messes with her chess pieces.

"I think it's about time we've had a heart to heart as sisters," Ellie, of all people, suggests as she stares Seokjin down with an obvious glare.

He only shrugs, unbothered, and exits the room without a fuss, leaving Lucia to be under everyone's attention immediately.

"So, gonna tell us what's gotten you so chipper?" Rowan prods and Lucia tries to grin innocently.

"Hm, me? Nothing," she hums, rearranging all the chess pieces into odd patterns.

"She looks like Tahani did when she told us about Jimin, what do you think made her so chipper," Ellie rolls her eyes at her sister, not afraid to skip over beating the bush around.

"Oh, that," Lucia shrugs, a smile tugging her lips up even further. "Minor details."

"If that's minor, what's the major detail? Are you dating yet?"

"Well, no, I won't be caught dead requiting feelings if they aren't reciprocated. But he's... warm, so it's okay."

"That's dumb, how would you know if you didn't confess?" Kal snorts as she fixes the chess pieces into the proper positions.

"Some things are better left unsaid," Lucia smiles, hopping up on her feet, twirling on her way to the door.

"Whipped!" Ellie shouts, causing Lucia to roll her eyes when she slips out between the doors.

"How do you feel about going out to get some food from the kitchen?" Seokjin proposes with a smile.

"Race you there!" Lucia shouts, bolting ahead of Seokjin.

She can hear Seokjin's laugh as he chases after through clumps of shocked servants and angry council members and she relishes the moment, never wanting it to end. 

More uploads to come eventually I promise. Also if this is formatted fumny its because I'm doing this on my phone at the gym lol apologies