Chapter 17

I glared daggers into the three boys as they all fumbled to find where to start wither their excuses. Panic rose to their faces as they see the pure disappointment on mine and Julie's face.  

"Woah how wonderful of you to join us" I slightly snapped at them as I kept my arms folded over my chest. 

Luke was the first one to come up with the courage to say something, "Look, we are...so, so sorry that we bailed on you," He said 

"Yeah, I mean, the night really got away from us," Alex added

"and the twins" Reggie swooned 

I would've shown a hurt expression but I was way to angry to show anything else, actually if anything his words only made me see red due to the anger boiling up. 

"Just please tell me that its had nothing to do with you getting back at Carrie's dad," Julie slightly pleaded even though we both knew the answer to that one. 

I looked over at her with sympathy because I knew how much this gig meant to her and how hard it was for her to make these steps. I was extremally proud of her but seeing her like this...so broken just made me want to smack the boys heads. The boys looked at each other with the same panicked reaction. 

"Of, of course not" Luke nervously laughed 

"No, we wouldn't do that" Reggie spoke at the same time while Alex let out a nervous laugh 

I only shook my head and folded my arms over my chest, I stepped closer to Julie to show her that I had her back. Julie looked at me with sad eyes before focusing her attention back to the group of idiots before her. 

"Seriously?" Julie lightly exclaimed "You're lying to me?" 

"Okay, look, it was something we needed to do" Alex told her

"But! we'll do whatever it takes. We'll play the next school-" Luke started 

This is when I come in, "Um no." I stated putting my hand out to stop him from speaking. I slowly got closer to them with a glare that could kill. 

"Do you think we are going to book another dance where you can bail on her again, bail on me again! Do you have any idea of infuriating this is?" I asked each word getting slightly louder "You made her look like a fool in front of her entire school, do you honestly think that she wants to go through that again?"

Julie joined my side and pulled my shoulder back, "Amelia" She spoke softly causing me to relax a little. She turned to the boys and let out a small breath while taking her hand off my shoulder. 

"You know what really sucks? Our songs were good. And all three of you knew what I've been through and how tough it's been for me to play, and then you do this? Amelia was here because she knew. She went looking for you but even then wasn't able to get here in time. At least she was here, but you guys? Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake." Julie ranted 

"You mean the school dance, right?" Luke asked 

"No" Julie told him "I mean joining a band with you guys" 

Without another word Julie ran out of the gym with her arms hugging her tight as she silently cried. As Luke called out her name, I was no longer going to hold myself back from telling the boys how I really feel. And as if on que the three numbskulls looked at me to face a hard glare. 

"Mel" Reggie started 

"No- don't Mel me" I started "Do you have any idea how badly you all messed up right now? you have just ruined something  that was really good.  I am here to protect Julie and to help her, I promised her mother that I would look after her family and more importantly, after her daughter. Julie means the world to me and you guys did too, Julie is too sweet for you all to push her aside like that for your own selfish reasons. I get that you all are mad with this Bobby guy, but old band and I would never ever bail on each other. We've skipped exams for gigs. Julie was right, our songs were really good, we had something, we could've been huge. But now we can't because you all clearly have different priorities."