Tension

Tall as a stallion, he roamed around the sight, his muzzle nosing the moss earth. The smell of human decomposition was very pungent, even after two days. 

A golden outline from the sun formed around the wolf's black coat, the fur becoming an almost sun-kissed brown. The russet-coated- wolf watched Sam Uley from afar. The alpha growled. There were numerous scents of vampires. 

Was the entire Cullen-blood-sucking- clan on a murder spree?

These tracks and scents are strange, Jacob. I don't think it's the Cullens.

Jacob felt Sam move behind him. Stalking. Moving swiftly and silently as if he were a shadow. Sam was wrong. He felt it in his bones. That demon had hidden and sinister plans for Bella Swan. He noticed it in the way Cullen looked at her. As if she were a piece of meat. As if he wanted to suck her dry. A blood-sucker that didn't care that he would expose his kind. Too dangerous. 

 A monster like that should not exist. 

 Jacob would toss himself off the nearest cliff if anything happened to Bella. The thought formed a hot sear upon his heart, inducing a painful throb. How could he be a part of the Protectors if he failed to protect someone he gingerly cared for. It was alarming how Bella had wormed her way into his life. She was this plain, unusual, unkempt human when they had first met. Now, she had grown on him. Even though his lifestyle strictly forbade him from pursuing an intimate relationship with Bella, he would never lose hope.   

Quivering in angst, he directed his attention elsewhere to abate his seething rage. 

We'd better wrap it up. Vehicle approaching fast at 6' o'clock east.  

Sam only hummed back in response. 

The wolf cocked its large head slightly. He recognized the sound of the engine approaching. It was the rumbling of the engine; the driven over gravel resonating in his ear.  Loathing stirred in his gut. He knew what was looming towards them. 

Speak of the devil.

His claws dug themselves in the soil, joints bending, lower back raising despite warnings from the alpha. It couldn't be a coincidence that Edward Cullen was coming this way. Were these his killing grounds? Were there more bodies completely decomposed and waiting to be found?  His heart quickened and he saw red as he prepared to pounce. 

Jacob, change! 

The resonating voices took hold of him in a vice grip. He felt himself shrinking at the alpha's riveting command. In his nakedness he let Sam's larger mass hide him away and nudge him into a covering. 

A streak of silver flashed by them. 

"You should have better control of yourself, Jacob!" 

The sharp words made Jacob slightly bow his head. Inside, his blood raged and churned like lava. 

Why was Cullen heading towards Port Angeles?