"If Looks Could Kill..."

January 18th, 2005

     "Who are they?"

     Edward's ears easily caught the inflection that noted her curiosity. Her stare bored into his cold skin, agitating him deeply.

With a small, imperceptible movement of his head, his dark eyes flickered from Jessica-who had looked up- to the new girl in half a second. He glanced away just as fast, his stone-like face holding nothing of interest towards the ordinary-looking girl.

Edward could not only sense the blood rushing to the girl's cheeks, but he could also smell her; blood hot and almost irresistibly sweet.

He shifted in his chair before he sensed Emmett speaking to him. Ignoring the ongoing conversation about him and the rest of his family, he engaged in small talk with Emmett as he picked at the food on his tray. He had to play the part. Had to act normal. Had to act human. For a lifetime and another to come. After all those human lifetimes, he felt numb. Used to it.

As he continued to speak at a pace that most humans normally wouldn't, he felt her eyes on him again, searching and observing the way his lips moved when he spoke. Bella's-the name he learned from Jessica's thoughts-breathing hitched up.

Curious, Edward decided to hone in on the constant chatter of the circular table at the end of the cafeteria.

"They are... very nice-looking."

He detected a hint of conspicuous understatement.

"Yes!" Jessica giggled. He read her thoughts that were about him and instantly wished he hadn't. "They're all together though — Emmett and Rosalie, and Jasper and Alice, I mean. And they live together," she continued, but her tone no longer held its cheery quality.

"Which ones are the Cullens?" Edward identified the voice as Bella's.

"They don't look related..."

"Oh, they're not. Dr. Cullen is really young, in his twenties or early thirties. They're all adopted. The Hales are brother and sister, twins — the blondes — and they're foster children."

"They look a little old for foster children."

"They are now, Jasper and Rosalie are both eighteen, but they've been with Mrs. Cullen since they were eight. She's their aunt or something like that."

"That's really kind of nice — for them to take care of all those kids like that when they're so young and everything."

"I guess so," Jessica admitted reluctantly. Edward read the jealousy floating through Jessica's mind.

"I think that Mrs. Cullen can't have any kids, though," she added.

He almost rolled his eyes but then, he felt Bella's own flicker to their table again.

"Have they always lived in Forks?" she asked.

"No," Jessica said in a voice that implied it should be obvious to the new girl. "They just moved down two years ago from somewhere in Alaska."

This time, Edward met Bella's gaze, his own holding curiosity. Bella's bashful gaze immediately drew away from his.

"Which one is the boy with the reddish-brown hair?" Bella asked. She peeked at him from the corner of her eye, and he was still staring at her, but not gawking like the other students had today — he had a slightly frustrated expression. She looked down again.

"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. He doesn't date. Apparently, none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." She sniffed, a clear case of sour grapes.

Edward captured the intricate lines of her forehead crease in slow motion. She was probably wondering when or why he'd turn Jessica down. He attempted to read her mind again. Nothing.

Bella bit her lip to hide her smile, Edward's face was turned away as she glanced at him. It was as if he were smiling too.

~
Bella walked down the aisle to introduce herself to the teacher and get her slip signed, she was watching Edward surreptitiously. The boy whose name she learned as Edward went rigid in his seat. He stared at her, his eyes hostile and furious. His eyes were coal black. Bella quickly looked away, face red. Stumbling over a book in the walkway, she had to catch herself on the edge of the biology table. The blush in her cheeks deepened as the girl sitting there snickered.

Keeping her eyes down, she sat next to him. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Edward's posture lean away from her. Did she smell bad? She sniffed herself. Strawberry shampoo. Maybe he didn't like the smell.

During the whole lesson, Edward remained in a stiff position on the edge of his chair, his hand clenching tightly at his thigh. The day was beginning to feel long to her. Was it because she was waiting for the pretty boy sitting next to her to relax? To realize he was being rude? To then introduce himself and say hello? To make some sort of eye-contact? For him...to breathe?

When she peeked at him one more time, she saw the glare. If looks could kill...she thought to herself.

The bell rang loudly, making her jump. Edward Cullen was out of his seat, fluidly rising. He was much taller than she thought. The muscles underneath his long-sleeved shirt rippled as he glided out the door before anyone else was out of their seat.