The Scent

January 27th, 2005

          His fist punctured through the bark of the tree, splintering it into hundreds of tiny fragments.

The ivory white complexion of his hand clenched until the marble-like bones underneath the skin cracked.
Thoughts invaded his head from miles away twisting and seeping through the venom that pumped throughout his brain.

How could he have been so thoughtless?

Saving Bella could have exposed the entire existence of his kind.

Edward should have let the advancing metal crush her delicate body, crushing her skull and ribs until every orifice of her leaked with blood redder than the freshest bunch of roses, hearing each drop like the roar of a waterfall as it spilled onto the concrete and splattered against her rusted truck.

Edward could imagine the smell of everyone's open throats as their mouths fell agape, paralyzed in utter disbelieving fear. Their eyes would be drinking in the image of after the moment Edward finally lost control of his unsatiated hunger.

He gripped his head in frustration, closing his eyes to stop the intruding voices in his mind along with their broken thought processes.

Grunting, he swept past the forest floor, letting the wind caress his red-brownish, tinged hair. Scents flowed through him, giving him peace from the catastrophe residing in his mind.

It was then, as Edward flew towards the meadow, his nose flared with a burning aroma.

A smell wafted into his nostrils, delicately gliding over the fine hairs and into his bulbous glands. It was a scent he could have never fathomed in his century of existence. It smelt so, so, so sweet with a nice tone of underlying pheromones permeating the odor of leaking, hot sweat.

The blood seemed to boil in the animal's veins, and it pumped fast throughout its racing heart. He could hear it so clearly. It was maddening. Would he daresay it smelled better than...

Yes.

It was a trillion times better than Bella's.

Even though he had nearly lost control, her scent was nothing compared to this...

This time there was no control as his primal instincts made him race towards that hot and luscious body calling to him.

The smell of sweat, citrus honey, and coriander attacked his senses, and he froze dead in his tracks. The hairs all across his body stood erect.

He pressed himself to the bark of the tree and watched as the russet fur stalked towards a certain tree and urinated.

Venom coated his mouth mixed with an unfamiliar substance. Saliva?

A unique sound erupted from his own chest, and the wolf snapped its head to Edward and bared its teeth, it's warning a low hum in his throat. Edward could feel the deep vibrations coursing through him, making his core tremble and his throat close as he swallowed.

Something strange was happening to his body, but he had no clue what it was.

Hopefully, Carlisle had an answer to this.

A high trill fluttered from his chest and he had to double over to cease the throbbing ache that threatened to consume him up in flames. An animalistic panting puffed from his nose.

By whatever other demon besides him, this was unbearable.

A twig snapped.

Edward inhaled feverently, his back straightening ever so gradually.