Unstable

"Why now," she mumbled, throwing the green wrapper in the little bin beside the toilet. "Isn't it a bit too early?"Her mind felt hazy and her stomach churned several times. A queasiness settled so she closed the lid and rested her head on the cool, porcelain sink. If she couldn't handle this then how could she handle biology lab later today? A knock on the door jumpstarted her heart into action.

"Jake's here." Chief Swan's gruff morning voice boomed from the opposite side of the door.

She yawned."Why?"

"To see you of course?"

Isabella Swan's cheeks flushed to a splotchy pink pallor, and her pulse spiked at her father's words. If she was completely honest Jacob's affection was not lost on her. Bella thoroughly enjoyed his presence, and he felt like someone she could continually confide in. There was no real reason for her to keep delaying the progression of their relationship. That white face and bronze hair came unbidden and burned into her mind like it frequently did. But, Edward Cullen had always given her mixed signals and was consistently cold and uninviting.

"Jake doesn't treat me nearly as bad as Edward does. So why am I..."

"Tell him I'll be down in twenty tops."

From this moment onward I shouldn't be involved with Edward Cullen, she thought, opening the medicine cabinet and popping open a bottle of Tylenol.

There was a heavy overcast, and the pavements were slicked from rain earlier in the morning. A slight drizzle kept a steady rhythm, Jacob's pace keeping in timing. It would have been awesome to sleep in on a slow and groggy morning such as this...Jacob's arms tightly enclosed around her, feeling the strong thump of his heart against the shell of her ear.

She shuddered, clearing her mind of her daydreams.

Stuffing her hands into her pockets she followed him to a mud-caked dual-sports bike.

"I hope you don't mind saving on gas?" Jacob joked, tossing a helmet to her chest. She struggled to remove her hands from the the warm confines of her jacket to catch the bulky mass in time.

"Nice bike! From the'70's or 80's?"

"The 70's. Hop on."

The rusty orange backpack was tightly adjusted before managing the hefty helmet on top of her messy ponytail. Sliding onto the bike made her grimace. The growing ache in her pelvic area created great discomfort whenever she shifted her hips.

"Alright?"

Sheepish, she only nodded.

"Hold on tight."

The wind whipped at her as he revved the bike forward. Her arms instinctively tightened around Jacob's mid section, and she buried her head protectively against his back. His pulse was as strong and ardent as she had imagined it would be.

Jacob entered the school parking lot and halted in front of the school. The students exiting their cars and chatting all turned to look at them. Whispers ensued.

She let go of Jacob and unfastened the helmet. The ache returned as she tried sliding off the bike, wincing and letting out a hiss of pain.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothi-"

"Here, let me help." Hot hands gently secured around her waist and slowly raised her until she could safely plant one foot on the ground. Ahead of herself and unsteady, she leaned too far forward and collapsed like a sack of potatoes into Jacob, his lean arms encircling her. His chest rumbled against her head in a chuckle. "Miss me already? I'm not even gone yet, Bel."