The Southern Air Temple

(Y/n) made her way back to her room. The guard she had befriended over the years of training smiled at her and slid her a note. He looked around before leaning over to (y/n), "Zhao will be gone tonight," he told her, "You can escape then."

She nodded, "Thank you. I'm really going to miss you."

He glanced around again, "The messenger wanted me to tell you this: The Avatar finds solace in his home. Go there and you too shall find a home to rest and eat," they said, "Also, there are rumors that Fire Lord Ozai is coming here today, so lock your door tonight. We don't know how far he will go if he finds you."

She nodded, walking away. Home? Home? Home? she asked herself. She entered her room, locking it behind her. The Southern Air Temple! But I don't know where the hell I am. And how long is he going to be there? Zhao had taught me how to fly with my fire but I didn't even know where I was and how far away the Southern Air Temple was.

She sighed, deciding that was a problem for another day. She opened her window, letting in the afternoon breeze. Zhao had a tendency to get her up very early and then spend the rest of the evening doing 'Commander things' as he liked to call it.

(Y/n) suddenly noticed a familiar voice floating across the breeze. "I don't want anyone getting in the way." It was Zuko. A much older and, frankly, balder Zuko. But that didn't stop (y/n)'s heart from skipping at the sight of him.

"Getting in the way of what?" Zhao snarled. "Prince Zuko?"

Zuko and Iroh stared at him in anger, "Captain Zhao," Zuko growled back.

"Commander, actually," Zhao corrected. "General Iroh." Zhao lowered his head, "How lovely to have you with us."

"Retired General," Iroh remarked.

Zuko was looking around. There was no doubt in her mind that he was looking for her. He knew she was here. There were so many letters with this address there was no way he couldn't have known.

"The Prince and General are welcomed visitors. What brings you to my harbor?" Zhao wondered.

Zuko caught her eye as Iroh pointed to their badly damaged ship. Zuko held a finger behind his back. "That's quite a bit of damage," Zhao pointed out.

"Yes. Uncle. Why don't you go explain to Zhao what happened to our ship over some tea?"

"Ooo! Yes! Do you have any ginseng tea?" Iroh called, grabbing Zhao's arm and leading him away. Iroh winked at Zuko and Zuko growled, throwing his fire behind him.

He began walking towards the wall, checking for anyone who might see him and report him. When he finally made it to the wall, he climbed up it. "Help," he wined, holding out his hand. (Y/n) grabbed him and pulled him in. He landed on top of her, blushes spreading across both their faces.

"What are you doing here?" she teased, a smile spreading across her face.

"We... might have run into the Avatar and he kind of ruined our ship," Zuko answered, running a rough thumb over her face. "You've changed." His voice was gruff and tears filled his eyes.

He wrapped his arms around her back and pulled her close, she hugged him back, so tight that she worried she might squeeze him to death.

He pulled away kissing her cheek, "Once the repairs are done, I want you to come with me," he told her.

She smiled, "Okay," she breathed, reaching her hand towards his scar. "Can I?" He nodded, watching (y/n) as she ran her finger over the entire scar. "How could he have done this?"

"I don't know," Zuko breathed, looking away, "Why did he command me to find a being everyone assumed was dead or would never be found? Why was he so cruel to us growing up?" A growl started up in his throat as he thought about his final question. His eyes filled with that passion that (y/n) had seen every time he was fighting. "And why the hell does he think it's a good idea to marry an eighteen-year-old and have her produce his heirs, while she rots away and loses her mind?"