The Waterbending Scroll

Zuko fired at (y/n). She threw herself back, landing on her hands and using the fire from her feet to throw her legs back.

When she stood again, Zuko was trying desperately to regain his balance. Even (y/n) found herself struggling to keep her feet on the deck. "What is—" (y/n) began but Zuko came towards her, grabbing her as the ship turned harshly.

Zuko grunted as his back slammed against the edge of the ship. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine but—"

His head turned to the center of the ship, "Someone's changing our course." He grabbed her hand, storming towards the Captain's quarters.

"What is the meaning of this mutiny?" he called.

Iroh waved to (y/n) as Zuko made the rest of his way to the Captain. (Y/n) smiled, sitting down next to Iroh. He was struggling with his next move in Pai Sho.
"No one told you to change course," Zuko continued.

(Y/n) held out her hand, offering to help and Iroh nodded. (Y/n) moved a tile and Iroh hummed. "Actually someone did," Iroh told Zuko. Zuko spun, fire filling his eyes. "I assure you, it is a matter of utmost importance, Prince Zuko," Iroh explained.

"Is it something to do with the Avatar?" (Y/n) cocked an eyebrow and he cooled immediately, using the breathing techniques (y/n) had taught him.

"Even more urgent," Iroh said, "It seems I—" He held out his hands, a certain tile missing from its usual place. "—I've lost my lotus tile." Iroh made his next move.

"Lotus tile?" Zuko asked.

"For my Pai Sho game. Most people think the lotus tile is insignificant but it is essential for the unusual strategy that I employ."

"You've changed our course for a stupid lotus tile?" Zuko called.

"You're underestimating its value, Zuko," (y/n) reminded him.

Iroh smiled, nodding, "Just give me ten minutes to check the merchants at this port of call." He held his finger in the air, "Hopefully, they'll have the lotus tile in stock and I can get on with my life."

Zuko sucked in a heavy breath, spitting fire towards the ceiling. "I'm lucky to have such an understanding nephew," Iroh mostly said to (y/n) as Zuko stormed out.

"Good luck, niece." Iroh said.

"Thanks uncle," (y/n) breathed, standing.

Iroh had given her that nickname after he had found out about her and Zuko's engagement. Iroh had always loved her like that but his affection had grown since then.

(Y/n) tapped her particular knock onto Zuko's door. There was no answer. "Zuko?" she wondered, pressing open the door.

Quiet crying came from the darkness, "Go away," Zuko breathed, voice breaking.

"What's wrong?" she pressed, sitting on the bed next to him.

"Nothing. Please just go away," he said, "I don't want you to see me like this."

"Zuko..." She pressed his head against her chest. "You know I don't care."

"I know." He sobbed harder, collapsing into her lap. "I know you don't. But I feel bad. You're constantly taking care of me and comforting me when I just don't do anything for you."

"It's okay, Zuko," she comforted. "What's wrong?"

"Will you do my hair?" he asked.

She chuckled, "Again?"

"It's been like a month," he reminded her.

"Alright," she agreed, lighting the candles around them with her fire. She assembled everything she would need, settling on the edge of the bed. Zuko sat in between her legs.