Imprisoned

The rig was much larger than (y/n) had originally anticipated. She waved, watching her ship depart. She gripped at the pendant around her neck, wondering where Zuko and the crew were off to. Zuko said they weren't going far even though (y/n) insisted she could handle herself for a day. She'd done it for years.

"Guard, what are you doing there ogling?" someone asked. She spun, facing a short man. "We've got work to do. A new stream of workers are coming soon. Go!"

(Y/n) nodded, stepping away. She was grateful for Zuko's helmet that hid her identity. If these guards knew who she was, she had no doubt that they would be grabbing her by the elbows and taking her to Ozai.

She threw back her shoulders, scanning the rig for the water bender. All she saw were earth benders. Why did they only take earth benders? she asked herself.

As she saw them move about in the rig, she realized why this place was called a rig and not a prison. They were working. Using their earth bending to benefit the rig.

"Guard!" someone called and she spun to face another guard glaring at her. She hurried over, taking the empty spot.

Prisoners stepped off the ship, all being handed the rig uniforms. There was one she recognized. The girl (y/n) had seen before. She was still wearing that betrothal necklace. But she was a water bender. Why was she here instead of the Avatar? Wasn't he the earth bender? And who was their friend that had been taken here?

(Y/n) kept her eyes on the girl as they lined up to face the warden. He began speaking and she realized that it was the man that had yelled at her before. She hated him already. And (y/n) could tell the girl hated him too. Within reason.

"Take them to their cells!" the warden called. (Y/n) launched forward, grabbing the girl's arm and dragging her along. "She goes to cell thirteen!"

(Y/n) threw the girl in, slamming the door behind them. The girl flinched, pulling away. "What do you want?" the girl snarled.

(Y/n) pulled down her collar, revealing the betrothal necklace she wore. Recognition filled the girl's face and her gaze flicked to (y/n)'s. "You're Zuko's fiancee," she noted.

(Y/n) held out her hand, "(Y/n). And you are?"

"Katara," the girl answered, crossing her arms and spinning away. (Y/n) cleared her throat, wiping her hand on her pants. "What do you want?"

"What?" she asked.

"Why are you here? Why did you grab me when you could have grabbed anyone else?" Katara pressed.

"I'm here because one of your friends was sent here. And I grabbed you because I want to know how the hell a water bender ended up in an earth bender rig," (y/n) explained, her entire body tensing.

"I ended up here because I want to get my friend out here. He and all the other earth benders don't deserve to be imprisoned here. Just because the fire nation doesn't, particularly like earth benders, doesn't mean that they deserve to work until they die," Katara noted.

(Y/n) nodded, "C'mon." She began opening the door.

"Where are we going?" Katara asked.

"We're going to go find your friend," (y/n) explained, "Don't you want to escape?" She smiled.

"I thought you were fire nation." Katara stood.

"What have you got against the fire nation?" (y/n) wondered, blocking the door.

"They killed my mom and most of my tribe," Katara snarled, looking anywhere but (y/n).

"I'm water tribe too," (y/n) explained, "My parents exiled me once they learned I could bend fire. Then I found Zuko. He saved my life. And now the Fire Lord is hunting for me."