chapter 2

After everyone including Camilo left towards the encanto to do their usual stuff, Bruno went to back to his tower. He had a habit of subconsciously counting the stairs, starting the first step up from the ground level.

The tower had significantly shortened in size due to his re-connection to the family. Weird how the magic worked like that-

It was around 42 steps last time. Now it's 48. He wasn't making this up right?

Something felt heavy in his chest, the sounds he made when he walked seemed so much louder, his head hurt. All for a moment...

No no. It was always 48, he thought. He's still just as connected to the family as he was a few seconds ago.

Soon he just forgot about the step mishap.

Entering his vision cave, he set up the sand and leaves he collected a few moments ago, tossed the salt, burnt the twig, did his whole vision ritual.

This time around he was trying to find out what had happened in a roundabout way. It was in the past, but maybe looking towards effects of the future could help.

He thought of Camilo and himself, trying to see how their relationship would /f/a/l/l/ /a/p/a/r/t/ change after this. See if Camilo mentioned it at any point.

It was like the sand was blocking him from answers. The longer, harder, closer he looked, the harder it became to really see anything. He could still see it, just not... SEE it.

What was he hiding from himself?

═════

When he left the tower, he subconsciously counted once more. 60. There were 60 steps this time. 48. He didn't know why that number echoed in his mind. 48? 48 what? There are 60 steps so what could 48 mean? There have always been 60.

Bruno looked down at the vision tablet. Something about it felt more clear than before...

Camilo looked like... he was scared. incredibly scared. terrified even.

The thought of what scared him, scared Bruno.

As he wandered back from his room he he heard alot of crashing and breaking sounds. Rushing towards the balcony, Bruno tried to see who was home. He worried someone had broken in. (even though that's impossible—)

Walking ever so carefully down the stairs Bruno peeked into the kitchen to be met with...

Camilo?

Camilo was furiously throwing anything he could get his hands on, he started yelling at some point too. The kitchen looked like a mess, Camilo was covered in broken glass and seasonings, he seemed to be crying his eyes out.

Bruno froze. He didn't know what to do.

"What happened-!?"