𝟎𝟗

emerson

For the past two days, I have been feeling completely overwhelmed. It's been two long days since I last stepped outside, and I haven't been able to get a night of proper sleep or even eat anything. I feel completely paralyzed and unable to do anything as if I have lost all motivation. It's strange because just a week ago, things were so much different. I don't know what happened or how things changed so much in such a short time, but I feel completely helpless and unable to function.

As I lounged on the sofa, my eyes glazed over from the tedious Netflix show Scarlett had put on for me. I couldn't even recall what it was called. Suddenly, the sound of a plate being set down on the coffee table snapped my attention back to reality. My stomach grumbled, but I couldn't bring myself to eat. I felt nauseous and the thought of food made me feel even sicker.

As Florence uttered my name, I rose from my chair and removed my hood. My neck bore a haunting mark, a large purple handprint that reminded me of the events that led to it. I couldn't resist touching it as I sat back down, my appetite waning. Florence noticed my unease and asked if I was feeling alright. I met her gaze and clenched my jaw, feeling a surge of melancholy. "I don't really feel like eating," I whispered. Her eyes softened with concern as she reminded me that I had been neglecting my meals for three consecutive days. Setting her fork down, she let the silence speak for itself.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, feeling a deep sense of remorse for not having the appetite to eat. I could see the disappointment on Florence's face as she pleasurably took a bite of her meal, while I poked my pasta, feeling the emptiness of my stomach. "I know... But please at least take five bites," she pleaded, hoping to persuade me to eat something.

I bit the inside of my cheek, feeling the tension in my jaw from the struggle of forcing myself to eat. My appetite was lost, and I couldn't go on eating. I looked at Florence to see her looking back at me with concern, her eyes filled with worry. I opened my mouth and put a small piece of pasta into it, but an uneasy feeling swirled up into my stomach, making it difficult for me to swallow. I clenched my jaw, trying to force myself to eat it, but it was a struggle.

Once I had my fill, I pushed the plate away from me and rose from my seat. "Thank you lunch," I expressed to Florence with a polite smile. She reciprocated the gesture with a warm smile and nod of her head. As I turned around, I noticed Scarlett following me with a soft gaze. "Hi," I greeted her in a hushed tone. She returned the greeting with a gentle nod. "I-I'm going to the bathroom," I muttered, making my way up the stairs. "Okay, I'm putting my phone on charge," Scarlett chuckled, breaking the silence with a lighthearted remark.

As I stepped out of the bathroom, I was surprised to see Scarlett waiting for me outside the door. Her expression was different this time, almost like she was feeling guilty about something. I gave her a small smile and walked past her, but she turned around and looked at me. "I- you have your appointment today..." she uttered hesitantly. I nodded my head in confirmation and continued walking down the stairs, wondering what was going on in Scarlett's mind. Despite her attempt to act normal, her unusual behavior did not go unnoticed by me.

As I walked, I suddenly came to a halt and turned around to face her. The expression on her face made it clear that she was aware of something. 

──

As I entered the doctor's office, I was greeted by Dr. Jenson with a warm smile. "Hello Emerson, how have you been?" he asked in a friendly tone. I returned the smile and replied, "I'm fine, thank you for asking." I fidgeted with my hands, trying to calm my nerves as I awaited his next question.

"How's the pain?" he inquired, flipping through my medical file. I hesitated for a moment before answering, "Well... It's fine... I suppose." I shrugged my shoulders, not quite sure how to put my discomfort into words.

Dr. Jenson then proceeded to give instructions to Florence, the nurse who had accompanied me to the appointment. "Okay, Dr. Jenson will help you remove your bandage. Just go take this to the emergency room and you'll know what to do there." he handed her a piece of paper and gave me a reassuring smile. I nodded in acknowledgment, feeling grateful for his kind demeanor.

As we arrived at the emergency room, Dr. Reid approached me with a warm smile and greeted me by name. Despite the urgency of the situation, her friendly demeanor helped to alleviate some of my anxiety. After a quick exchange of pleasantries, she got to work and donned a pair of gloves. "Let's get you checked up, shall we?" she said in a calm and reassuring tone. I followed her instructions and lay down on the bed as she examined me. Her expertise and professionalism were evident in every movement as she worked to diagnose and treat my condition.

Finally, after what seemed like an endless amount of time, my wound dressing has been replaced.