𝟑𝟖

emerson

Florence turned to me with a curious gleam in her eye. "If I was to ask you a big favor, would you agree?" she inquired. I arched an eyebrow, intrigued by her sudden query. Her laughter filled the room. "It's not an actual favor. I just wanted to gauge your reaction. By the way, have you heard of Jimmy Fallon?"

I nodded in acknowledgment. "He's the guy who interviews people, right?" I replied with a smile. Florence confirmed my guess with a nod. "Well, he wants to interview with you," she announced. "Why?" I asked, a furrow forming on my brow. Florence showed me the email. "He thinks you're really cool and wants to chat," she explained softly.

"Sure," I replied, a mix of surprise and curiosity bubbling within me. Florence beamed. "Great, because the interview is this evening," she declared. "What?" I exclaimed, trying to process the sudden turn of events. "You agreed on my behalf? I wasn't prepared for this," I stammered.

"I knew you'd say yes," Florence said confidently. "And don't worry about a thing. Jimmy has everything set up for you, including a wardrobe." A rush of emotions flooded through me—excitement, nervousness, and a touch of disbelief. An interview with Jimmy Fallon was an unexpected opportunity, leaving me both thrilled and apprehensive about what was to come.

"Any new songs?" Florence inquired. My mind raced back to the tune I had sung the other day. "Well... maybe," I shrugged, "but I need someone else to sing it with me."

"I volunteer as tribute!" Hailee exclaimed, popping her head up from the pillow with enthusiasm. "Really?" I asked, surprised by her sudden willingness. "Why would I ever say no?" she retorted, springing up from the floor and fixing her hair. "Sad or badass?" she queried, a playful grin on her face.

I stifled a laugh. "What do you think?" I countered, intrigued by her choice. "I don't know... maybe something melancholic?" she suggested, eyeing me curiously. "Oh? I actually don't know," I admitted, rising from my seat. Darting upstairs, I grabbed my keyboard, then my guitar, and finally my notebook.

Florence interjected, pointing towards the keyboard. "I've never heard you play." "First time for everything," I muttered, placing the keyboard on the floor. I walked upstairs, retrieved my guitar, and grabbed my notebook, filled with scribbled lyrics and thoughts. Returning to the living room, I arranged my gear—a keyboard, a guitar, and my trusty notebook—creating a makeshift studio of sorts.

"Alright, let's give it a shot," I declared, taking a seat with the guitar resting comfortably in my lap. Hailee perched on the edge of the couch, her eyes fixated on the instruments. Strumming a few chords, a melody emerged. Hailee observed, entranced by the music taking shape. Humming a few verses, I experimented with different tunes, letting the emotions guide the melody.

"Sad or badass?" Hailee echoed once more, her enthusiasm palpable. I chuckled. "What do you think?" I tossed the question back at her, eager to hear her input. She hesitated, pondering for a moment. "Maybe something melancholic?" she ventured, uncertainty lacing her words.

The room fell into a contemplative hush as I mulled over her suggestion. It was a challenge, a chance to paint emotions with music. With a soft smile, I began to play the keyboard, gently grazing my fingers over the keys to create a delicate melody. Hailee glanced at me before settling on the floor beside me, clutching the guitar in her hands. She strummed a few chords, her eyes fixed on me.

"Okay... I'll give you a thumbs up when you can start," I mumbled, adjusting a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

( I do - Renee Rapp )