𝟏𝟒

emerson

As I strolled back, an uneasy sensation gripped my stomach—a familiar warning. Ignoring everything else, I hurried back to the bathroom, heedless of its occupancy. Darting to the nearest cubicle, I leaned over the toilet bowl, my body convulsing as the remnants of my dinner spilled out.

As I leaned against the cubicle, trying to steady my breath, I sensed a gentle presence behind me. Turning slightly, I met the concerned gazes of Scarlett and Lizzie. Embarrassment flooded through me, realizing they had witnessed my moment of vulnerability.

Managing a weak smile, I attempted to convey reassurance, though my flushed face likely betrayed my discomfort. "Hey, sorry about that," I murmured, feeling my cheeks grow warmer. "I didn't mean to interrupt anything."

Scarlett's expression softened with understanding. "No worries at all. Are you feeling okay now?"

Lizzie nodded in agreement, her concern evident. "Do you need anything? Water, maybe?"

Their kindness tugged at my heart, offering a sense of comfort amidst my embarrassment. "I think I'll be fine," I replied, grateful for their support. "Just caught me off guard, I guess."

They exchanged a glance, silently conveying their willingness to lend a hand if needed. "Well, if you need anything, we're right here," Scarlett offered with a gentle smile.

I nodded, appreciative of their understanding. "Thanks, both of you. I'll just take a moment and then I'll be good."

With a nod of mutual understanding, they gave me some space, stepping back to offer privacy. I took a few deep breaths, attempting to regain my composure, thankful for their unexpected but reassuring presence.

The tension in the air was palpable, an awkwardness that seemed to linger in the wake of my sudden intrusion. Whether it was the abrupt interruption or the aftermath of my hasty visit to the bathroom, a sense of unease settled between us like an unspoken barrier.

"I'm sorry," I said, breaking the awkward silence, my voice tinged with remorse. "I didn't mean to barge in like that."

Scarlett and Lizzie exchanged a glance, their expressions a mix of understanding and reassurance. "Hey, it's okay," Scarlett replied with a gentle tone, trying to alleviate the discomfort. "Don't worry about it."

Lizzie nodded in agreement, offering a kind smile. "Your health comes first. We're just glad you're feeling a bit better now."

Their understanding gestures eased some of my embarrassment, but the lingering tension remained, a subtle reminder of the disruption caused by my sudden illness. I couldn't help but feel self-conscious, wondering if I had crossed a line or dampened a moment they might have shared before my untimely arrival.

"I'll just... um, I'll give you both some space," I muttered, feeling the need to give them privacy and escape the lingering awkwardness. With a small, awkward nod, I hurriedly left the bathroom, hoping the uncomfortable atmosphere would dissipate in my absence.

As I stepped outside, I couldn't shake off the feeling of regret for the unintentional intrusion, hoping that the warmth of our friendship hadn't been overshadowed by this awkward encounter.

Florence appeared agitated as she approached me. "Hey, have you seen Scarlett and Lizzie? Everyone is going crazy looking for them," she asked. I hummed in response, nodding my head. "They're in the bathroom," I replied. Florence looked at me quizzically, her confusion evident on her face. "The bathroom?" she questioned, clearly surprised. I hummed again and glanced behind us. "They're taking their time in there," I added, trying to give her some context. "Doing what?" she asked, raising her eyebrow suspiciously.