06🔸Ayaz

Badriya left a trail of sand in her wake. Ayaz coughed, waving the cloud away with his hand. "What are you— I didn't even say go!"

"Eat my dust!" she shouted back, laughing.

Letting out a frustrated groan, Ayaz urged Layl to move forward.

Badriya was several paces in front of him because of her head start. Not a minute passed, and she already looked like she was leagues away, her figure shrinking with each blink of an eye.

Ayaz snapped his reins, but Layl huffed in protest, his pace still unchanged. It had been years since Ayaz chose Layl among the horses in the sultan's royal stables, and he realized his steed wasn't as fast as he used to be.

"Come on, Layl," Ayaz muttered. "I promise I'll reward you with your favorite treat once we win this race."

As if understanding his words, the horse galloped faster, making Ayaz gasp at his renewed speed.

Eventually, Badriya came to view and with her, the province of Al-Jeyad. Like most of the towns Ayaz had seen in his escapades with Idris and his other companions, its mute appearance merged with the color of the desert, not a bright hue of paint in sight. It was a stark contrast to Zarab and the other cities found in the center of the country, but despite that, Ayaz found the little towns more beautiful than the rest.

Badriya's eyes widened when she looked behind her back, and for a moment, she seemed to slow down. Ayaz seized this chance and pushed Layl forward, overtaking her. But even when he did, the two of them entered the town almost at the same time.

Clueless passers-by jumped at the sight of the two youths racing on horseback. Ayaz yelled an apology as he veered Layl to the left, passing by men drinking outside their flat-roofed, mud brick houses.

This wasn't the first time Ayaz came to Al-Jeyad. The village, like many others, was founded as a simple layover for weary travelers journeying from far and wide, but an oasis it was not intended to be. Hence, the reason for the lack of beauty of Al-Jeyad's infrastructure.

Ayaz then turned another left, and finally, from the distance, he saw the familiar bustling of townsfolk selling and trading various merchandise in makeshift tents and stalls.

The souk.

He glanced behind him. Badriya was on his tail, and she was almost within his arm's reach.

His eyes widened. He imagined that she would go some other way to the souk since she outright told him that she didn't trust him. He never thought she'd actually follow him.

Ayaz dug his nails into his palms. I won't let her win.

Just as he was about to turn around, Badriya held her reins with a single hand while she pulled out a knife. The same knife that she used to defend herself from the dune robbers.

With the same smirk she gave him earlier, she threw the knife towards him.

It was a petty move—all Ayaz had to do was duck to evade it—but it was enough of a distraction for Badriya to move ahead and reach the entrance of the market.

"Kharra," he cursed.

She steered her horse to stop just in front of an old man selling herbs displayed on a rug. The poor man scrambled away as a large horse towered above him.

The second Layl cantered to a halt in a less crowded area, Ayaz dismounted and patted Layl's mane.

"I guess you won't be getting your treat today."

Layl huffed.

Just as Ayaz took a step forward, he felt an object shifting under his foot.

Badriya's dagger. He picked up the rusted blade, rubbing his thumb on the faded crescent symbol engraved in the center of the knife's grip.