𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟏. all you have is your fire.

ALL YOU HAVE IS YOUR FIRE.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°•        CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE        •°

"        THOUGHT I SMELLED
YOUR RANK MULLET.       "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

ONCE AGAIN: Elijah really hates kids. Sure, they weren't supposed to be heroes. Yeah, he was legally considered a kid himself (sort of, it didn't feel much like it), but hey, he also hated himself so he liked to think that his feelings were valid, especially when he was glaring directly at Dustin Henderson as if the snotty kid had personally offended him by requesting that they gather up the baby-demogorgon that El had maimed so they could shove it in the open fridge. It's a wonder how Dustin had made it as long as he had. Steve too, for that matter, since he gathered the limp monster with minimal protests that only earned more glares from Elijah who was surrounded by too many white boys with, apparently, no brains.

"It should fit now," Dustin declared once he tossed aside the last condiment he dug out to make room. Elijah couldn't wait to see the look on Joyce's face when she went to get some morning breakfast only to be met with the gnarled body of a demogorgon.

Steve finally had the decency to shoot Henderson an exasperated stare. "Is this really necessary?" He asked flatly.

Dustin, however, had the nerve to act offended by their reactions. "Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery! We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog!"

"I can tell you where you can put it," Elijah went to snap back.

Before Elijah could directly suggest where Dustin could shove it, Steve interrupted, "Alright, alright," he huffed. "But you're explaining this to Mrs. Byers, alright?" He struggled to shove the thing into the now-empty fridge. It was wrapped in an old quilt that didn't do anything to help the grip Steve had on its slimy, green skin. "Christ," Steve grunted. "Help me out."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Get the door, man!"

Elijah was less than helpful as he watched Steve struggle to keep the demogorgon inside long enough for Dustin to shut the fridge door without moving a muscle to assist. It was, despite the spark of fear for the demogorgons even if the one Steve cradled was dead, quite amusing after everything.