𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟔. run, you clever boy.

RUN, YOU CLEVER BOY.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

STARCROSSED (book one)

°• CHAPTER SIX •°

" YOU BETRAYED ME! YOU
RUINED MY FUCKING LIFE! "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THE DARK HAS ALWAYS SURROUNDED ELIJAH WOLFHART. He's learned to live through it, to see even if there was no light. He soon learned the darkness didn't mean the end. This almost felt different. Elijah can't see through this darkness, though, because there's absolutely no light, not even coming from the sky. He's bumped into so many trees that he's surprised, yet grateful, he hadn't fallen. The thing in the darkness he's been trying to escape was still there. He just couldn't see it there nor could he see the entrance of the tree they had come in. He could barely see alone. But Elijah could hear Nancy's shrill shrieking for Jonathan and his faint reply as they desperately searched for him through the night.

"I'm right here! Nancy! Eli! Follow my voice!"

Every turn Elijah makes means almost nothing. He sprints forward in desperation to find his best friend. It's like he's miles away, but also just a few feet away. And the worst part was, he realizes there's no stars in the sky. There was no moon to guide Elijah home. His chest tightens at the realization with every step, every breath, but he still shouts, "Jonathan! Help us, please!"

"I'm right here!" Jonathan pleads with them. Elijah can hear his feet pound against the ground as he tries to follow what he can't see. "Please - what do I do?!"

The pair race to follow where Jonathan's voice was attempting to guide them closer to an unknown place. Terrified tears stream from Nancy's face as she cries out, "Jonathan! Jonathan!"

Elijah was a hair away from crying himself. But only a horrified scream tumbles out when they whip around to see the same creature hunched over between a slope of trees. It lets out a loud snarl in response. Jonathan wasn't the only one following their begging screams for help. Nancy gives Elijah a shove to his back when he doesn't find it in himself to move at first. He feels her thin fingers clutching around the denim of his jacket so tightly he feared she'd rip it, but he doesn't push her away. He only draws her closer until they're bolting together.

It's then that they come across a tree with its log wide enough to shield them. Elijah throws Nancy behind it first to ensure she'd fit at least alone before planting his back against the bark, carefully squaring his broad shoulders. Tears well in Elijah's eyes as he hears the monster snap twigs closer and closer. It's creeping on them, quietly searching them out because they're the prey it's hunting. Elijah doesn't dare breathe. He squeezes his eyes shut, holds his breath, and prays for a chance they'll make it out of this alive.