Chapter 22

I turn my head to find a younger man about my age dressed in nice clothes. And by nice I mean a blue silk jacket with golden patterns swirling around it, a black as night shirt underneath, pearl white pants, and pair of polished black boots. Wow. My eyes widen when I realize how perfectly the somewhat royal clothes fit his body. I can tell that he's quite strong just from that. Then I look up at him and find deep chocolate brown hair and matching eyes with a charming white toothy smile. Huh he's kinda much, I mean is the outfit really necessary. He's just begging for attention. We both just kinda stand there as I wait for him to tell me why he tapped me. somehow I feel his eyes scanning every inch of me and I start to feel uncomfortable. Ok um...

"Sorry I thought you were someone else" he nervously laughs. Even his voice is too perfect, deep down inside something doesn't seem right.

"It's ok" I reply cautiously as I start to walk away as I feel his eyes following me and I quicken my pace.

" Wait Miss," he grabs my wrist, "I do have to admit you are quite an attractive young lady"

Taken aback I reply, "Thank you..."

Interrupting me a familiar voices calls, "Hope!" I spin around to find Cal making his way toward me with a somewhat fake smile on his face. "Who's your new friend?"

Still agitated with his recent ability to read my mind I reply, "Not that it should matter to you, but I have just met this man." I then turn to the stranger, "Thank you for the lovely compliment, I think you are rather handsome yourself and I would love to stay and talk some more but I'm afraid that I have some shopping to do. Good day." Despite his compliment I still don't trust him, something just seems off. I looked to Cal who's eyes are wide as he waves bye to the stranger, and we walk off toward the market. What's with him?

"So you think he's handsome?" Cal asks in a strange manner telepathically.

I reply all while looking straight forward to avoid eye contact. "I wish you wouldn't do that, and yes I think he is quite handsome." I then turn to find that Cal, unknowingly, lifts his hand up to the scar on his face in a subtle sadness, "But to be honest he's a little too perfect and almost fake for me to ever be attracted to, he had called me beautiful and I was just being polite. Besides, I find it more attractive when someone's face tells a story, maybe through a battle scar or two." I reply without even realizing what I had just said and my face starts to heat up.

This time Cal mocks me with a wide grin on his face, "That's oddly specific, are you taking about anyone in particular? Maybe someone I happen to know."

"Pft nah," I nervously laugh and change the subject, "Hey look new spices to slip into Greez's cooking when he's not looking, maybe that will make it taste better" I state while pointing to one of the market stands. I walk over to buy some as Cal follows in disappointment because the conversation had ended.

After about an hour of shopping we headed back to the Mantis just in time for dinner. We all sat down and sat there eating Cal asked Cere where they had been in search for him, and what all the planets were like. The three of them each described little details of their search for him, while I sat back and listened. The only feeling in my body was peace, it was all just so peaceful in the moment. No more anger against the Mantis crew or worry for Cal, just peace. I finally know what the Jedi thrived to attain for the whole galaxy this single feeling of balance.

After dinner was over I helped to clean up and afterward went outside for a breathe of fresh air. The rest of the crew was still inside catching up with one another. I really have no need to, I mean I know that they were all devoted to searching for Cal and I had already explained my simple life on Tatooine during dinner. So I might as well sit here on the ramp and take in the sight of a somewhat peaceful market in this corrupt empire. As I sit there people watching I catch the sight of a little girl who could be no older than 7 years old in a dark alley way searching frantically . I wonder what she is doing all alone? I stand up and as I walk toward the girl I can start to her plead, "Please help me!" ,with tears running down her face as people pass by some occasionally kicked her, when they caught the sight of her rugged hair and dirty cloths. She then retreats further into the dark alley and curls up in a ball crying. I start to speed up with urgency and enter the alley even though I can sense there is something wrong, my concern takes over pushing it out of my mind. I slowly approach her and stoop down to her level to quietly ask, "Hello, what's your name?"

The girl looks up sniffling, "Karina."

"Nice to meet you Karina, my name is Hope. Do you need help finding someone?" I say while offering her my hand. She only nods her head and I smile as I help her up to her feet. "Who are you looking for Karina?"

The little girl sniffles some more and pauses as if she had forgotten something and she looked just above my shoulder for an answer, as if someone was behind me and she suddenly replies nervously, "Mm-my parents." Why does it sound like she rehearsed this? I turn my head to see what she was looking at, when something pricks my neck, instantly I fall to the ground in regret because I had left my lightsaber in the Mantis. My vision becomes blurry and my ears start to ring as two figures run from the back to the front of me, "Karina you almost messed everything up you little brat!", somebody yelled. The other person reaches for something as I lay there helpless, unable to move a muscle in my body or even think clearly. My eye lids start to become heavy and I can only make out faint booming voices when a bag is forced over my head and I just barely muster the strength to call out, "Cal!"