Chapter 1

Dawnkit's mother, Mossfeather, licked her kit's head while Dawnkit struggled to get out of her grasp. "Mama!" Dawnkit whined. Mossfeather chuckled, "I just want to be near my kit before She becomes an Apprentice." She smiled and chuckled. "But mama, that isn't for another half moon!" "I see you have been counting the days." "I'm only excited to grow up." The two share a laugh as Honeykit jumped over to her mother and sibling. "Dawnkit! I can't wait." She jumped around and squealed in happiness. Mossfeather watched as her two kits in pride. "Hey you two," She smiled, "Why don't we go out and get some air?" The kits's faces lit up with joy. "YES!" Dawnkit and Honeykit yelled in unison. Violetrunner's ears perked up. Otterpool stood up and stretched."Do you mind if me and my kits come with you?" Otterpool mewed. "Of course! Violetrunner? Would you like to come?" Violetrunner looked at the two queens. "I would love to, but I don't think my kits are big enough to go outside." She sighed. Otterpool looked down at her paws. "Oh... I'm sorry. Can we bring you back anything?" The black she-cat sighed again. "Don't bother. That's the warrior's job. Besides, there's nothing that comes to mind that I need." With that, Mossfeather, Otterpool, and the kits left with a slight 'Goodbye' to Violetrunner. As soon as the air hit Dawnkit's face, She was filled with chills. She loved the wind moving their fur and the cold dirt on their toes. Dawnkit and Honeykit ran through the camp with Bluekit and Poppykit just behind. Fishkit and Fernkit stayed close to their mother. Bluekit ran up to Dawnkit, snickering to himself. The kits slowed down and Dawnkit turned to Bluekit. "What's so funny?" Dawnkit laughed with the blue tom. "I'm just having fun." He smiled and Dawnkit smiled back. The queens would take the kits to go see the elders if all the elders didn't die off during the fall of the clans. They either were torn apart by dogs, Got attacked by other clan warriors, or died on the journey to the new location. Dawnkit heard the stories about the dog attack from Squirrelpaw, who just recently became an apprentice. He liked to talk to the kits because his mentor makes him tend to the nursery. He told amazing stories that he heard from his mentor, Frogfang. Dawnkit loved all the stories he told them, so She was hoping to find Squirrelpaw in camp and ask him for another story. She spotted Squirrelpaw at the base of the shade rock with his brother, Whitepaw. Dawnkit made her way to the brown tabby and sat down beside him. "Good morning Squirrelpaw. Good morning Whitepaw." She smiled and purred. Squirrelpaw turned to the golden colored she-cat and smiled back. "Morning!" He smiled widely. Whitepaw smiled at Dawnkit and nodded, acknowledging She. "I was wondering if you got any stories for me to hear." Squirrelpaw shuffled his paw in the dirt. "Well... let me think," He was in deep thought, "One day, many MANY moons ago, a warrior named Lightningbelly saved Windclan and Shadowclan from a snake attack. There was a, as the Two legs call it, 'infestation' of snakes and they were heading towards both Windclan and Shadowclan. Lightningbelly barely made it out with his life! However, he successfully killed all the snakes with the help of his friend, Berrysight. Berrysight died from a snake bite shortly after. Lightningbelly was devistated. Ligtningbelly is still alive in Windclan." Squirrelpaw sighed. "Wow!" Dawnkit was amazed once again. "Squirrelpaw!" Frogfang yelled for his apprentice rom the camp entrence. "I need to go, but I'll see you later, Dawnkit." He smiled and his mentor called again, louder. The tom walked off. "I hope to be just like you." Dawnkit mewed. Mossfeather called for her kit and Dawnkit turned to her mother. "Coming!" She yelled back. Dawnkit ran to Honeykit who was playing with Fishkit. Fishkit laughed and swatted at Honeykit and Honeykit pounced on Fishkit. Fishkit hissed at his friend. "What was that? That's not how you fight." Dawnkit snickered. She heard a voice behind them, "Well then let's fight!" Bluekit leaped onto Dawnkit with lots of force. Surprised by the sudden weight on She's back, Dawnkit squeaked. Dawnkit tried their best to get up and attack, but Bluekit was too heavy. She breathed, shaking. "Alright! You win!!" Dawnkit deeply inhaled as soon as their clan mate got off. "See? That's how you fight." Bluekit stood tall with pride. "You cheated!" Honeykit yelled. "You can't attack behind them! That's what dark forest cats do." Mossfeather overheard her kit talking and shushed Honeykit. "Shhh we shouldn't talk about that." "Why not?" Dawnkit questioned. "Well," Mossfeather began, "The dark forest is a very bad place and talking about it is bad luck." Otterpool trodded up to the other queen. "That's not true. There's no such thing as bad luck." Honeykit tilted her head. "There isn't?" "Of course not! Your mother is just trying to scare you." Mossfeather was a little crossed at her friend's words. "Bad luck is real Otterpool. Starclan gives bad luck to any cat who does wrong or talks about wrongdoing." Dawnkit didn't know who to believe. On one hand, her mother is always right. But, bad luck seemed like a silly thing that doesn't exist. Can it?