Chapter 9

Y/n'paw watched as the flakes of snow fell into the camp. Y/p noticed Junipercloud was watching the snowfall too. He turned his gaze at the apprentice and smiled before returning back to the snow. Y/n'paw padded over to the warriors den where the warrior was observing. The small warrior sighed with a smile. "I used to watch the snowfall by the window seal. I would be in the warm house with a fire. I had a tower," He reminisced of his simple life, "But I know I made the right choice. I am here for a reason. Right?" The y/f cat faced him, appreciating the features y/p didn't dream about. "Starclan has a plan for you. They may make you the leader of Shadowclan." The cat joked. "About the kittypet you were talking about before," Junipercloud went on, "What happened to them?" Y/n'paw took a deep breath. "Well long ago, before even Flamestar was born, There was a kittypet who turned into a clan cat. Their name was Firepaw at the time. Soon, Firepaw earned his warrior name, Fireheart, and went on to capture the trust of Bluestar, his leader. He became deputy as soon as he trained an apprentice and became one of Thunderclan's greatest leaders."Junipercloud was visibly awed by the story. "Don't that mean I could be great too?" Y/n'paw still needed to get used to the way he talked. "Yeah, I guess." The warrior grinned and puffed out his chest. "Well then I plan to do so," He took a deep breath, "I might as well go back to bed." "Me too." The black and white tom turned back towards his den but stopped. "Goodnight." Y/n'paw stood for a moment before responding. "Good- Goodnight Junipercloud." With that, they parted to go back to sleep. Y/n'paw was grateful that y/p didn't have another dream that night, but instead, a void of nothingness that felt welcoming. They strutted out of the apprentice den and licked their shoulder as Leopardwhisker came over to y/p like every morning. "No training today, I will be busy with Squirrelpaw, who can't fight. I know you are very well trained so I will let you have today off. However, I have one task for you. You will help Scarredfoot in the elders' den and change his bedding." "I understand, thank you for this break." The mentor padded over to Squirrelpaw who was ready to train. Frogfang was with Junipercloud, talking again about the life of a clan cat. When y/n'paw made y/p way to the tree that sheltered the elder, y/p noticed he was scratching himself furiously. He groaned as he used his scared feet to itch himself. "Good morning Scarredfoot. Can I change your bedding for you?" The elder snorted at y/p and moved over so y/p could take the used moss. When they came back with fresh moss, y/p sat down in front of the retired warrior and smiled. "Is there anything else I can help you with?" "Isn't it obvious I have ticks?" He sighed. Y/n'paw frowned. "Let me see if Jayskip has something for ticks. Y/p trotted over to the medicine den but only saw Jayskip's apprentice. "Is someone there?" Lostpaw's eyes remained shut as he moved his head to the direction of the sound of paws. "Good morning Lostpaw." The medicine apprentice thought about the tone of voice. "Ah y/n'paw. What a pleasure. Good morning. How can I help you?" "I was wondering if you had any herbs that can help with ticks." Lostpaw shifted his paw around until he felt a small, squishy item. "Tell me, y/n'paw, is this red?" Y/n'paw leaned over and saw the insides of a mouse neatly placed on a leaf. "Yeah." Y/p was a bit grossed out until y/p realized that was what y/p eats. "Perfect," Lostpaw smiled brightly, "Take this Mouse bile to the cat with ticks and put the bile into some moss. Then you will gently dab the moss with the bile on the cat's fur." Y/n'paw was given a clump of moss by the blue tom. The moss had a horrendous smell. Y/n'paw winced and cringed at the oder, but put the moss in y/p jaws anyway. "Got it. Thank you Lostpaw." "Anytime." He replied. Y/n'paw turned with the moss towards the elders' den yet again. When Scarredfoot saw the apprentice, he stopped itching himself. "Can you help me with these?" "Don't worry Scarredfoot," Y/n'paw started to dab the moss onto the elder, "This should help." The ticks let go when the mouse bile hit them and they started to fall off. Once the ticks were all off, y/n'paw let go of the moss clump and rubbed y/p nose. "Ugh. That smelt horrible." Complained Scarredfoot. "Yes, but it helped." Scarredfoot sighed in agreement. "Is there anything else you need?" The elder laid down. "Well I could use some water to drink." "Then let me go get you some. I will be right back." Y/p took two clumps of moss, one for the water and the one with mouse bile. Y/p threw out the used moss and carried on. They decided to go closer to where the Thunderclan and Shadowclan borders meet and dipped the moss into the water. Y/p took a few mouthfuls of water for y/pself and took the moss back to camp. Y/n'paw dropped the moss in front of Scarredfoot, who was still on his belly. He drank the water from the moss and sighed in relief. "Thank you Y/n'paw," He closed his eyes, "I am proud of the way your mentor has trained you." Y/p forced a smile, not knowing what he meant by that. Scarredfoot waved his tail, dismissing y/n'paw. The apprentice, before leaving, brought him some food. Scarredfoot looked uninterested in eating at the moment but took a bite anyway. Y/n'paw saw the fresh kill pile was starting to get low, but y/p knew the mentors and their apprentices would be back soon with more prey. Y/p took a frog from the pile and walked over to the nursery to greet y/p mother again and have some small talk. Y/n'paw felt the warm air from the nursery and smelt the sweet scent of milk. Otterpool was already expecting but it wasn't too obvious. Her belly was slightly swollen as she chewed on some kind of leaf-like herb. "Good morning y/n'paw." Mewed Mossfeather. Otterpool smiled at y/n'paw as y/p gave the queens the frog. Violetrunner's kits were bigger but only around four moons old. Deerkit ran up to y/n'paw with glee. "Y/n'paw! We haven't seen you in so long." The kit grinned and went into a playing position. Y/n'paw laughed and lightly tapped the kit and let him tackle y/p. "Oh no! You got me." Y/p laid down and pretended to plead for mercy. "Oh please don't hurt me." Deerkit laughed triumphantly. He backed down and let y/n'paw up. Y/n'paw turned back to their mother. "So how have you been mama?" Y/p crouched and perked her ears up. "Well," Mossfeather began, "Everything is fine with me, and Otterpool will be having kits soon." "Who's kits?" Otterpool spoke up. "That's unimportant." Y/n'paw hummed at the sudden snap. Mossfeather smiled wide like she had news that she couldn't wait to talk about. "Y/n'paw, I was thinking, what if I have more kits? Give you more siblings." "With who?" Y/n'paw laughed. "Flamestar."