Chapter 4

Meanwhile, in Thunderclan, the warriors Tallear and Owlfeather were next to the fresh kill pile, chatting. Reedtoe  approached the two with a frown. Tallear glanced over at the tom. “Can we help you?” “When will you two mouse brains do something productive?” Owlfeather spoke up. “Me and Lilypaw went on a patro-” Reedtoe cut the warrior off. “Yet you sit here, doing nothing.” “We did our jobs,” Tallear stood up to match Reedtoe’s height, “So why don’t you get back to yours.” The tortoiseshell snarled and retreated. Tallear watched him walk away and sighed in relief. “Wow, that was amazing, Tallear!” Owlfeather praised. The black and white tom crouched back down to talk with his friend again. “It wasn’t easy, he’s pretty intimidating.” “It looked scary.” The two sat in silence for a moment, soaking in the peacefulness of the day. Owlfeather faced his friend. “So what about the dogs? Have you seen any lately?” Tallear sniffed. “Well, I haven’t, which is good. Hopefully the dogs have gone back to the twoleg place.” Creekstare made his way into the clearing. He coughed and sat down next to Dawnspekle. She shifted over a bit. “That’s rude of her.” Tallear pointed out. “Do you think he has white cough?” Owlfeather looked a bit frightened as if he’d just been told his best friend had a disease. “Oh don’t be so dramatic,” Tallear assured him, “He just has a little cough.” “Yeah but,” Owlfeather looked at his paws, “I’m just a little worried about our clan. I mean, there aren't as many warriors as there used to be.” “Hey,” Tigerflame called, “Stop gossiping like queens and get over here, I have something for you two to do.” The warriors trotted over to the deputy. “I need you both to help find Wolfpaw.” “Is Wolfpaw gone?” Owlfeather gasped. “Yes, we can’t seem to find her. She was collecting herbs and she hasn’t come back. So I need you two to go out and try to find her. I’ll be going with Dawnspeckle. We will go towards the twoleg place, and you two will go toward the forest.” Tallear nodded and the warriors walked out of camp. Upon reaching the forest, Owlfeather breathed in the air, pushing down anxiety. Bushes of round blue herbs remained untouched. The spotted tom eyed the bushes. “Wouldn’t Wolfpaw have taken those back to camp?” “Maybe she went the other way.” Owlfeather tried to not sound nervous. All of a sudden, they heard a scream up ahead, not too far from where they were. They raced over to where the sound was and found Wolfpaw attacking a tall, skinny dog. The dog had some fresh scars on its flank. Tallear quickly rushed into the battle. He leaped onto the dog's back and bit its shoulder. The dog yelped and flung the warrior off. Owlfeather was next, however, he was frozen in fear. He watched as the dog grasped onto Wolfpaw’s neck. He finally got some courage to attack the dog. He flexed his paws and jumped onto the dog, making the dog let go of the apprentice. Wolfpaw lay limp on the ground. Tallear got back up and threw himself on the dog as well. The warriors clawed at the dog until they were pushed off. The dog yelped and whined as it ran off towards the twoleg place.  Tallear rushed over to Wolfpaw. She had slashes over her throat and bite marks everywhere. Owlfeather slowly made his way to the apprentice and nudged her shoulder. “Shes- Shes with Starclan now.” He whispered. Tallear dragged Wolfpaw back to Thunderclan camp. He saw Tigerflame and Dawnspeckle were already back. Cats gathered around the lifeless apprentice. Foxfall looked down at her apprentice covered in blood. “She was supposed to get her name soon. This isn’t fair. But, I can’t question Starclan for taking her so early.” Tears streamed down her face. Blackstar made his way to Wolfpaw. “We must mourn our fallen apprentice.” The cats were all silent, especially the grieving Foxfall. Once it was moonrise, Blackstar and Foxfall stayed with the buried apprentice while everyone else went to sleep. Once sunrise came, Tallear felt the sunlight hit his face. He mewed softly then got up and stretched. He left the warriors den and yawned, feeling the dew on his paws. He glanced over to Foxfall talking to Blackstar. The black and white tom came to the conclusion that she must be asking about getting a new apprentice. Tallear approached his leader and waited patiently for him to be done talking to the medicine cat. “I understand.” Foxfall sighed and walked off towards the nursery. The leader turned to Tallear. “Is there anything I can help you with?” “Do you think we will be able to go to the gathering tomorrow? With all the dogs, we could run into one or they might attack the camp.” The black tom thought for a moment. “I’ll leave Tigerflame and Reedtoe here to protect the camp. But we need to take all our apprentices and Foxfall.” “Hmmm… I see. It’s good that we warned Shadowclan about the dogs beforehand.” Blackstar hummed in response. He sighed, still upset from the day before. Owlfeather called forTallear by the Thunderclan entrance. Tallear rushed toward his friend. The gray warrior’s apprentice was sitting next to him, with a frown. “Can you come with us on our hunting patrol? I’m just a little nervous.” “Oh of course.” He smiled and the three made their way out of the camp. Once they entered the thick foliage and trees, Lilypaw sniffed around to find some prey. She got low to the ground without any warning so Tallear and Owlfeather did the same. She stalked a mouse that was close to where the warriors and the apprentice were. She lunged herself at the creature and successfully caught it and killed it. She held it in her jaws and showed it to Owlfeather who was smiling back at her. “Your apprentice is very strong, how old are you Lilypaw?” Tallear questioned. Lilypaw put her prey down and started to bury it. “I am 10 moons old.” She said sternly. Tallear examined her tone. “Oh. I know you’ll be a fine warrior.” Owlfeather nudged his head indicating he wanted to move on. Lilypaw wasn’t done with her hunting, so she went back to smelling the crisp air for prey.  The leaves fell gracefully down showing off its orange and red colors with pride. Lilypaw got down again and the warriors followed. She leaped and tackled a vole which she carried back to where she buried the mouse. “Owlfeather,” Her tone sounded demanding until she looked at the crossed Tallear who looked as if he dared her to say one mean thing to him, “Can- can you take the mouse back to camp?” She sounded much more polite. Tallear smiled back at her then to Owlfeather, who was picking up the mouse. Once he had the mouse in his jaws, the cats made their way back to the clearing.