Chapter 12

Flamestar got on his rock and breathed in. “Will all cats old enough to lurk in the shadows gather under the shade rock. As you could tell, I was unable to stay at the Moonstream with Jayskip and,” He paused and Jayskip whispered to Freckleflank and she whispered to Flamestar, “Lostsight.” The clan cheered for Lostsight who was at the medicine den entrance. “In other news, Duckpaw, you have shown loyalty and strength. Do you promise to uphold the warrior code? No matter what the cost?” Duckpaw looked uncomfortable at Dawnpaw then back at Flamestar.  “I do.” “Then from this day forward you shall be known as Duckstripe. And because Duckstripe has completed his training, Deadtail has decided to retire. Deadtail, you may go to the elders den with your mate.” Deadtail walked over to Duckstripe and licked his head before walking off towards the elders den. Flamestar began again. “Also, Frogfang informed me Junipercloud is eligible to train an apprentice. Fernpaw, your mentor shall be Junipercloud. And Duckstripe, when your vigil is over, you will mentor Poppypaw. Lastly, the wind has died down, but until further notice, no kit shall leave the nursery. It is too dangerous, they will be carried off. Clan dismissed.” He gently walked off of the rock and into his den. Dawnpaw made her way to the nursery to check up on the kits and queens. Duckstripe glanced back at his friend and went to take his place for his vigil. Mossfeather mewed at the sight of her kit. “Dawnpaw! Oh I was so worried. Bluepaw told me you left the camp. Flamestar was upset until he realized what you were doing. Oh you could have been hurt.” She frowned then softly smiled. “Deerkit missed you.” “What about Doekit and Fawnkit?” “They miss you too, but not as much as Deerkit.Why don’t you go say hi?” Dawnpaw smiled as the kit pounced on her tail. “How’s my favorite warrior?” Dawnpaw smirked. “Dawnpaw! I’m not a warrior yet.” The kit laughed. “But you will soon.” She crouched to be level with the kit. “I hope that we can have fun in the apprentice den. We can stay up all night and- ''''Woah, slow down there my little warrior,” that was a name her mother used to call her, “We can’t stay up all night, we need rest to train. Believe me, you don’t want to train while tired.” “Oh. Okay,” He sighed then grinned again, “But we could still have fun right?” “Of course.” They played together for a bit before Dawnpaw needed to go to her den to sleep. The moon was almost at its highest. It shone brightly and led the way to the apprentice den. Squirrelpaw made his way into the clearing with his mentor. The brown tom padded over to Dawnpaw sighing. “Thunderclan was very kind to take us in, but it was humiliating. What did I miss?” “Duckpaw is now Duckstripe, Lostpaw is now Lostsight, Deadtail retired, and kits can’t leave the nursery.” “Wow, that’s a lot.” “Yeah, I think we’ve all had a long day. I spent most of mine on patrol.” “Yeah, me too but not as long as you. I went on a short hunting patrol before my border patrol.” They walked into their den and laid down to sleep. She didn’t have a dream that night. Dawnpaw woke, stretching, ready for the day. She left the den as always and padded over to Leopardwhisker, awake and ready to train. Their session went by fast, tiring the apprentice as usual, but when She came back into camp, Duckstripe was nowhere to be found. She was a bit upset that her friend was gone most of the time. He trodded into camp, a lot less tired than when he was the one being trained. “Hey Dawnpaw,” Duckstripe awkwardly sat next to She, “Just because I’m a warrior doesn’t mean I’m any better or stronger than you.” He added. The warrior shifted his paw. “I never thought as much.” Dawnpaw frowned. She picked up a magpie and turned, padding over to the nursery. She was met with Doekit and Fawnkit running at full speed to see the upcoming apprentice. Fawnkit tried desperately to be faster than her sister and ended up tripping over herself at Dawnpaw’s foot. She was so small, if Dawnpaw wasn’t careful, she could hurt the kit. She managed to pick her back up but she couldn’t stand up. Fawnkit yelped in pain. Her front left leg was distorted and she needed to see Lostsight. Violetrunner emerged from the nursery and saw her hurt kit. “What happened?” Her voice was calm but her eyes told a different story. “She fell mama.” Doekit spoke up. Violetrunner stared at the apprentice and flicked her tail. “Please take her to the medicine den. She doesn’t seem too hurt.” Dawnpaw pushed the prey forward for the queen to take and trotted over to the medicine den. She set the kit down on the fresh moss bed and licked her head. Freckleflank was curled up in the other moss bed, with her tail covering her nose. She was shivering, but Dawnpaw did not want to disturb her. Looking around the den, Lostsight was nowhere to be found. Jayskip happily hummed as she poked her head through the vines that grew in the den. “Oh Dawnpaw! What seems to be the problem?” She looked at the kit, who cried quietly. “Fawnkit is in some pain after a fall.” Jayskip took a look at Fawnkit and examined the wound. “I have just the herb,” She ran over to the storage and brought back a twig with big leaves and purple bell shaped flowers, “This should help fix up her broken leg.” “Broken?” She gasped. “Yes, broken. Don’t worry, she will be alright.” Jayskip was quick to dismiss Dawnpaw. She quickly waved her tail as if to tell She to leave. She left promptly, muttering a small prayer for the kit to Starclan. Violetrunner stood at the nursery entrance with both Deerkit and doekit on either side of her. “Well?” She was impatient for an answer to a question she didn’t ask yet. “Fawnkit’s paw is… Twisted and-” “And? Is she alright?” The black she-cat huffed. “She will be fine is what Jayskip said.” The queen looked up and sighed then back at the apprentice. “Come inside.”