Chapter 8

Flamestar, Leopardwhisker, and Dawnpaw were led by Jayskip to where she saw the outsider. "I saw a cat with the mark of twolegs when I was collecting herbs. I told him to stay put so we can help him out. I think I've seen him in a dream before." Dawnpaw thought of how mighty the kittypet must be for the medicine cat to dream about him. "He is still a tom," Jayskip continued, "He seems to have a strong connection to Starclan, for he explained he was led to the mountain by a strange call." "Interesting." Flamestar added. "However, he's still a kittypet. He should return back to his twoleg nest." Leopardwhisker hissed. The leader mewed softly. "If Jayskip says he has a strong connection to Starclan-" "For a kittypet." Jayskip interrupted. "Exactly," The flame colored tom's tail twitched, "Let's welcome him to Shadowclan." The mentor snarled quietly. "Shadowclan does not accept kittypets." Dawnpaw spoke up, "Didn't Thunderclan accept a kittypet into their clan many many moons ago? And the same kittypet became the leader." "Thank you for the lesson, Dawnpaw." Leopardwhisker spat. "Don't be so rude." Flamestar scolded. The clan cats came upon the kittypet who was short and very well fed. He had stubby legs and wide amber eyes. He had a black pelt with white on his jaw and underbelly. "Uhm... Hi," The cat spoke in a thick accent, "I'm Bubby- but you can call me Bubs." He wore a large bell around his neck. Jayskip sat next to Flamestar who looked down at the kittypet. The leader smiled. "You said you heard a strange voice calling you towards our camp?" The cat thought for a moment. "Well sorta. I heard it in a dream. And, well, I saw the mountain so I went to it." The medicine cat examined the kittypet fully. Flamestar got closer to Bubby. "Would you like to join our clan? It seems that you have a calling towards our clan." Leopardwhisker snarled to himself. Dawnpaw wanted to be on her mentor's side, but also agree with her leader. Bubby smiled then frowned. "I don't know if my humans would like it. But, it's kinda boring. I've been with that human for a year... I'll come. I don't want to stay chubby and become lazy. Livin in the wild is just what I want to do." His voice had a hint of sarcasm. The mentor scoffed again. "Then let's go back to camp- but first, we need to rid you of the twoleg mark on your neck." Leopardwhisker walked over to the leader. His eyes narrowed, in which the leader responded with a nod. Leopardwhisker took a swing at the cat's neck and the bell fell with a thud. "Ow! You hit my neck." The gold tom left a small scar on Bubby's neck. "Opps." Leopardwhisker shrugged it off. Flamestar gave him a glare as he turned back to the direction of the camp. Once they arrived back, Flamestar took his position on the shade rock. "Will all cats old enough to lurk in the shadows gather around the shade rock for a clan meeting." Cats gathered,noticing the new cat, who smelt of twolegs. "I am here to announce the welcome of a new clan member, Bubby, who will be guided by Frogfang. Frogfang will show Bubby around camp and show him how to live in clan life. He will also receive his warrior name. Bubby, from this day forward, you shall be known as... Junipercloud." The clan did not cheer. Junipercloud sunk into himself as he felt that all eyes were on him. "You will respect him as you would any clan mate. Clan dismissed." The leader leaped off of the rock and disappeared into his den. Dawnpaw saw Squirrelpaw's mentor sigh and walk around camp with Junipercloud. Duckpaw watched beside Dawnpaw. "Do you think he will snap?" Duckpaw questioned. "Frogfang? Most definitely." Soon, moonhigh came and went and Dawnpaw yawned as she laid down in their warm moss bed. When Dawnpaw was truly asleep, she saw a figure in the distance and a silhouette of Junipercloud behind her. Dawnpaw went closer to the silhouette and saw the cat had no features and was completely white like snow. The cat had no paws, face, or fur. Dawnpaw squeaked in slight terror of the blank face as the figure from earlier approached. It looked like Fernpaw but much larger. She circled Dawnpaw and the blank warrior and hissed. Her claws were unsheathed and she leaped onto Junipercloud. Dawnpaw gasped as their eyes shot open. They huffed and looked around the apprentice den. The apprentices were all asleep. The sky was dark and the air was crisp. Dawnpaw took a step outside the den and saw her breath. A small white flake landed on her nose. Leafbare had begun.