Only In Hope

Prologue

The golden X on Mr. Squeaks' cheek glowed luminously and cut through the darkness of the cave within the caves. Wisps of magical energy, similar to the kind of magic that Irys manifested, appeared around the tiny red rat. Almost immediately, Bae recoiled. What was this rat trying to do!?

Is it gonna turn me into a fucking rock!?

Bae tried to pick herself up from the floor and distance herself from the tiny creature, but pain still gripped her body. The pool of blood forming beneath her only grew larger. Her vision started to wane.

" Hold still, Miss Hakos. I will heal you! " The tiny rat's voice spoke telepathically into Bae's mind again.

Heal me!?

" That's right. " Mr. Squeaks responded, reading Bae's thoughts perfectly.

Left without a choice, Bae closed her eyes and resigned herself to her fate. If this was where she met her end, Bae was prepared to bite the dust. And yet, in the back of her mind, she couldn't get the image of a certain someone out of her head.

That person's name escaped her blood stained lips.

"Irys..."

All of a sudden, kind and tender warmth embraced Bae's broken body. The pain that had gripped Bae mellowed and the wounds that she had sustained started to seal. Slowly but surely, Bae's strength returned to her. She wasn't biting the dust yet, it seemed.

Bae dared to open her eyes and she saw herself surrounded by warm golden light. The wisps of magical light emanated from the golden X on Mr. Squeak's cheeks. That light eventually fizzled out, but it left Bae with more than enough strength to stand up once again.

" Apologies, Miss Hakos. " Mr. Squeaks' voice spoke into Bae's mind again, " It's been a while since I served a Representative of Chaos. My powers are not as strong as they once were... and I am still getting used to this form. "

True enough, many of Bae's wounds had yet to heal. Her army fatigues were still stained in her blood and she had definitely seen better days.

Good enough...

However, the ominous rumbling of the cave caverns intensified. Horrified cries of "CONTACT!" rang out soon enough, followed by frantic bursts of automatic weapons.

Irys' powerful and magical voice, however, could barely be heard through the din of the heat of battle.

"I don't know what sort of sorcery you did just now, and I'm glad you patched me up a bit. But I can't stay here." Bae wiped the traces of blood from her lips. She also stripped off her bloodied and tattered Army fatigues, leaving just her olive green tank top, "My friends are in danger right now. I can't stop and chat about whatever Council business you're talking about."

" You have to listen to me, Miss Hakos! " Mr. Squeaks insisted, " You must become the Representative of Chaos to help your friends! What are you planning to fight the Chimera with? "

When Mr. Squeaks asked this, Bae turned to the broken shotgun on the floor. Bae gritted her sharp teeth and detached the cracked flashlight from the shotgun's barrel. At the same time, the Tokarev pistol she salvaged only had one shot.

Bae clicked her tongue. She picked up Mr. Squeaks from the floor and conceded.

"Fine! Tell me about this Council thingy on the way there!"

" Very well! " Mr. Squeaks agreed.

With that, Bae slipped the red rat into the pockets of her trousers and ran through the caves towards the intensifying gunfire. Led by the beam of her flashlight, Bae traversed through the treacherous cave while the rat in her pocket enlightened her.