Run Through The Taiga

Prologue

Powdery snow fell upon the roof deck of a Yekaterinburg tenement. It fell on the brown shawl draped over the winter combat uniform of Captain Mumei Nanashi and upon the fiery wings of the gently-descending Phoenix, Kiara Takanashi. It also fell upon the myriad of corpses of MACV and Soviet soldiers who once called that roofdeck their joint headquarters.

The Phoenix landed on the snowy roof deck, melting the snow beneath her shoes and on her wings with latent heat. Mumei, on the other hand, pointed her M14 rifle at the mythical creature and watched her from behind the iron sights.

"I've heard about you." Mumei started, her breath fogging up before her eyes, "Kiara Takanashi. One of the five Myths who murdered Lady Knowledge. The Phoenix who was supposed to die in another world."

Kiara's brow furrowed. Bright red flames formed around her and coalesced into a buckler shield brimming with magical energy - magic from the Otherworld that claimed Mumei's beloved mentor.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, little bird, but I don't have plans of kicking the bucket anytime soon." She raised up her shield and roared, "But that doesn't mean I don't plan on defending myself either!"

Mumei frowned.

"I've been waiting for this moment." Mumei felt her trigger finger itch, "All this time, I thought that all the things Irys had been saying was some fairy tale she thought up. Something untrue. Something out of reach!" Her honey brown eyes started to shine gold, "But you're here - in this world. I can hurt you. I will hurt you. I can have my revenge!"

Mumei's harsh, delusional words made Kiara shudder. But what stuck out for her was the strange name that she mentioned.

"Irys?" Kiara raised her brow, "Who's that?"

"The lost soul who sealed your fate!" Mumei growled.

Suddenly, Mumei pulled the trigger and shot Kiara.

The Phoenix held her ground and blocked the shots with her buckler shield. And yet, Kiara's magic never coalesced to form a weapon of any kind. All she did was take cover behind the ruined equipment of the snow swept command post and block shots.

Mumei saw this and her eyes went deadpan.

"Why aren't you fighting back!?" The owl-girl demanded, showing Kiara with lead. She reloaded her weapon and cocked her gun anew, "Are you insulting me!? Show me the Phoenix fire that killed Lady Knowledge!"

"This is a residential building!" Kiara argued, shouting from behind cover, "Many people live here! I'm not about to raze so many people's homes just to sate your revenge!"

"Do you think that will make me show you any mercy!?" Mumei reached for her satchel and took out a grenade, "I've been denied the satisfaction for years! I will have my revenge whether you like it or not!"

Mumei lobbed the grenade at Kiara. A bead of sweat dripped down Kiara's face, but she promptly buried the grenade beneath her shield.

Boom!

The grenade went off and sent Kiara flying, but her shield blunted most of the blast.

Kiara spread out her fiery Phoenix wings to right herself, but Mumei continued her assault. The owl-girl peppered her again with a volley of gunfire, spraying her wildly with full-automatic. Once again, Kiara raised up her shield and sought shelter. Still, a handful of stray bullets tore through her wings before she could retract them.

The Phoenix's face went pale and winced in pain. This owl-girl was a bigger threat than she seemed. Kiara realized that this was no mere soldier - but someone who has challenged enemies greater than herself and managed to win.