Sink Again, Rise Again

Prologue

When the dust settled over the dreamworld campus of the Occidental College, Clover Gosling found herself in a bind.

Literally.

Beneath the great, old willow tree of the Old Quadrangle, the haughty, corrupted Guardian Spirit of Civilization struggled fruitlessly against the constricting vines of Fauna Ceres and the gravitic magic of Sana Tsukumo. No matter how hard Clover tried, the vines wouldn't break and the intensified gravity wouldn't let up.

Neither Boros nor Yatagarasu, the beasts she summoned to turn the tides for her, continued to serve her. Moreover, the white wisps of magic that Clover wielded had dissipated, taking all of the relentless fanatics of the Disciplinary Committee along with them.

And so, accosted by the mighty beasts, Sana and Fauna watched their squirming captive mischievously - sweet, sweet payback her back for all the times that Clover played them like fiddles.

"The tables have turned, haven't they?" Sana poked at Clover's cheeks, "I think I can get used to messing around with you. You've got a lot to answer for, y'know?"

Clover tried to bite Sana's finger, but Sana intensified the gravity instead. It forced Clover's jaw to drop, reducing the talkative girl to unintelligible grunts and groans.

"You've been a naughty girl, Clover Gosling." Fauna chimed in, looming over the trapped Clover with a devilish smirk. She poked at Clover's arm with her battlestaff and asked, "How about I give you a blood test this time? I'd like to get samples of you under a microscope." She shrugged, "Though, getting rid of you once and for all would be nice too."

"As much as I'd like to, we can't get rid of her just yet." Kronii's voice interrupted their conversation, "Irys and Bae have other plans for her." She waved to Sana, "Let her speak. The... happy couple want a word with her."

Sana frowned, but she lowered the intensity of her gravity well. That let Clover close her mouth and regain her speech.

"You crazy bi-"

Before Clover could say a word, Sana kicked her in the face with her bare feet.

"Foot-in-the-face!" Sana roared.

Kronii smirked, almost as if Sana saved her the trouble of doing that herself. Moments later, Irys and Bae, went out of the main school building and marched towards the captive Clover.

"So here's the deal, theater girl." Bae spoke firmly, "We're gonna cut you loose from the influence of the Manipulator and reverse her corruption. Then, we're gonna have you do a few things for us." She folded her arms and frowned, "Right now, beyond the dream, Cover Corp is fighting for their lives in Yekaterinburg against that Apocalypse Bird."

"Rightly so." Clover hissed.

This time, Bae herself kicked the theater girl.

"Gah!" Clover recoiled in pain.

"Shut up and listen." Bae lashed, "First, you're gonna free Yatagarasu here. It's not like he's planning to follow your commands anymore anyways - not when Sana's right here."

The space worm nodded solemnly.

"You're lucky his corruption was just in the early stages." Clover pouted.

Bae snorted and continued.

"Next. You're gonna call off Apocalypse Bird's attack and have Sparrowhawk believe that Cover's forces were annihilated." She raised her brow and asked, "You're the right hand of General Sparrowhawk aren't ya? These few things should be a walk in the park for you."