Akatsuki no Hana

Prologue

High above the clouds, the false Air Force One replica made of eldritch grime flew eastward through the night.

Confined within that infernal, yet expertly recreated plane, Irys sat quietly and bided her time. She sat in her comfortable seat in the main cabin a stone's throw away from Kronii Ouro across the aisle. Just like before, Kronii pretended to be the mindless invalid thrall of Clover Gosling, biting the bullet of her bruised ego.

Down the aisle and behind the curtain of what once was Richard Nixon's airborne presidential office, Irys heard the loud and obnoxious Clover Gosling chat with Sparrowhawk, shower her with praises and served her expensive French wine taken from the real Air Force One at Koltsovo Aerodrome. Loud as Clover was, the twisted guardian spirit made an effort to project her voice so that she could be heard in the main cabin too.

Neither of the three ladies said a word, but all three of them shared a telepathic link bound by Irys' magic. Through that link, they collaborated and plotted murder.

A wordless symposium for the demise of General Cecile Sparrowhawk.

" Alright ladies, let's go through this again. " Irys spoke telepathically, taking on the mantle that Colonel Omega often took before a battle, " What are our three priorities for this mission? "

" Save Mumei. " Kronii started, answering telepathically as well, " I can't stand seeing her in the state that she's in . She believed in Sparrowhawk wholeheartedly - so we have to make the General pay. "

" Destroy The Manipulator completely. " Clover chimed in next, speaking with grim intensity, " The Manipulator is an Eldritch Horror - a bona fide Ancient One."

"And finally - we're going to stop Sparrowhawk from unleashing her plan to destroy the three Known Worlds Cover Corp HQ in KW01, my homeworld in KW08 and this world. KW11." Irys concluded, "If we can do it on our own - we will, but we'll buy time for Bae and the others to arrive. Wherever it is that Sparrowhawk is taking us."

Irys, Kronii and Clover all telepathically agreed.

" But I must warn you two. " Clover promptly warned her collaborators, " Taking down an Ancient One is no easy feat. It's not gonna be as easy as putting a bullet between her eyes. I mean, look at me, right? I just used a fraction of The Manipulator's power. "

Irys frowned.

" Why don't I just cast a Caesura time-stop and stab her through the heart. Or chop off her head? " Kronii asked, " I just need to drop this dumb act and stick it to her. Literally. "

" You can try, but that would do you no good. " Clover denied.

" And why not? " Kronii challenged impatiently.

"The Manipulator is an Ancient One through and through. Destroying her physical body here won't do you good when she can draw on her eldritch powers." Clover explained, "If you want to destroy The Manipulator, you have to destroy ALL of her - and do it in one go. Body, mind and eldritch spirit. And we've got to do it right the first time. There won't be a second chance."

" How do you propose we do that? " Irys asked with more patience than Kronii, but not by a lot.

Irys and Kronii waited with anticipation. Then, Clover sighed telepathically.

" Your guess is as good as mine. "

" HUH!? " Irys and Kronii screamed directly into Clover's mind, threatening to activate the magic in the maroon choker.