Caesura of Despair

Prologue

Under the light of the setting sun and the orange-colored sky over Tokyo, Irys watched the concrete jungle of the metropolis illuminated by the supercharged Tokyo Tower. A pillar of light shot up to the sky, emanating an eldritch signal that pulsated throughout the Known Worlds like a heartbeat. That signal drew forth the forces of the Ancient Ones towards KW11 - the Eleventh known world - en masse.

Multiple galactic orcas made up of Horrors answered the call. They cast their deep, dark shadows over Tokyo and hovered around the pillar of light piercing through. Cracks started to form in the barrier of reality and the orcas started ramming their heads into it, forcing through droplets of black grime that coalesced into Horrors of all shapes and sizes.

It was a hopeless situation - a fate and destiny bigger and unfathomable to the human mind knocking on the final threshold left ajar by the fallen Manipulator.

And yet, Irys did not turn away.

She did not lose Hope.

The Nephilim took a deep breath and bowed down to Bae and to Calli.

"Please, climb up the tower with me." Irys begged, "I don't think I'll make it up there alone."

Bae and Calli turned to each other. A myriad of questions swirled in their minds - about what they were facing up there and what they were to do, but they did as Irys asked and accompanied her. The others bade them farewell and prepared themselves to fend off the torrent of Horrors falling from the sky.

The three ladies climbed up the red-painted, six-hundred step outdoor stairwell up to the observation deck of Tokyo Tower. A strange, oppressive air swirled around the tower, but it was nothing more than an odd nuisance for them.

So, in the midst of that strange distortion, Irys had her companions focus their magic in a peculiar way. They attuning them to the frequency of Irys' own and weaving them into ribbons that they would spread throughout the stairwell and wrap around the tower.

"When we get to the top, I'll subvert the broadcast with my own - a brand new song." Irys revealed, "It'll be hard to get there - and even harder for me to subvert the broadcast - but this is what has to be done." The Nephilim took that ribbon of tricolored magic and tied it to her pinky finger with a smile, "I'll need your help getting up there. After all, the two of you were the ones who gave me the greatest hopes in my darkest moments."

Beyond the stairwell of Tokyo Tower, the rumble of battle began. They could hear the clash of magic, Guardian Spirits and automatic weapons going on and see it unfold before them too - but they focused on the arduous climb.

But the higher they climbed, the oppressive air grew from a nuisance to a dull headache that intensified with every step they took. Three hundred steps in, Bae and Calli were grunting and wincing.

"What is this...!?" Bae grumbled, gritting her teeth to keep her mind off the pain.

"Despair." Irys answered firmly, holding onto the rails and panting heavily while she climbed the steps, "My despair and the despair of the Known Worlds that The Manipulator destroyed. I can hear it... all of it!"

When Irys said this, she shuddered and tripped up on the steps.

"Irys!" Bae caught Irys before she fell down.

Calli likewise sprang forward and propped the two of them up.

"I'm fine..." Irys reassured them.

She let Bae and Calli help her back up to her feet.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Calli asked with great concern.

Irys smiled awkwardly.

"I'm really scared right now, Calli-senpai." She admitted, "But if I can't sit still and do nothing. I don't want Sparrowhawk to have the last laugh here!"