Layover

"Why didn't you tell me that we would be stopping in Detroit?" I demanded, smacking him lightly on the arm.

"I wanted it to be a surprise. Your family already knows; that's how I managed to convince them to let me take you to Cole Harbour," Sidney explained.

"You should have told me," I grumbled. "Then I could have brought their presents instead of mailing them."

"Oops. They'll all be there, you know. Your entire family, Julia, Luke, Justin..." He trailed off, not pleased that my old friend would be there.

"You arranged all this for me?"

"I knew you'd miss them, and your mother demanded that you come home near Christmas or I would no longer be welcome," Sidney grinned.

"You seem to find that funny, but she was dead serious in telling you that," I replied.

"But, she still let me take you home for Christmas. She loves me," he bragged.

"She certainly does," I rested my head on his shoulder, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said, taking my hand in his much larger one. I couldn't help but think about what Jules would say about a man with large hands.

Jules picked us up from the airport and drove us to my house. "We all waited to do gifts until you guys were here. We all waited to open ours from Erin, too," she told us.

"Did everyone know about this but me?" I asked.

"Yup," Jules said.

"And you were complaining," I shook my head.

"I'm a good actress," Jules shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

We were welcomed with enthusiasm. My mom was extremely happy that I was only one day late for Christmas. Justin smiled at me and kissed me on the cheek when I greeted him and I saw Sidney tense up. I squeezed Sid's hand to get him to calm down. He squeezed back and smiled down at me. We followed my mom into the living room. I sat down on the couch and Sidney and Justin sat on either side of me.

"Who's going first?" My mom asked.

"I'll go!" Jules volunteered and we all laughed. I had gotten Jules a Pandora charm for her bracelet and when she opened it she squealed and jumped up to hug me, "Thanks, Erin!"

"You're welcome," I laughed, returning her hug.

I enjoyed watching everyone open what I had gotten them. I loved that I had been able to make them so happy. I felt warm and happy myself sitting in my childhood home surrounded by friends and family. I loved Pittsburgh, but I knew that Michigan would always feel like home.

Justin opened the small box I had gotten him and found the Red Wings keychain he had given me our senior year of high school. I wasn't giving it back because I didn't want to be friends, I was giving back because I knew it had a sentimental value to the both of us and I wanted him to remember our time together. Justin's eyes lit up and I saw a hundred memories flash across them at once. Sidney and Luke did not know the meaning of the keychain, but everyone else in the room did. "You kept it?" He whispered.

"Of course, but I want you to have it," I replied, resting my hand on his shoulder. Justin wrapped his arms around me held me against him for what felt like a long time. When he let me go, he whipped out his key ring and attached it.

"Erin, I believe it's your turn," My dad said.

"Oh, um, okay," I said.

Julia and Luke gave me a framed picture of them and Justin and I from one of our summer trips. My parents and siblings got me a stack of books to help me build my library.