BONUS CHAPTER: A Candle And A Pen

This isn't something that I usually do.

I was well-versed in the art of weaponry. But poetry was a totally different realm to explore. Kass has told me in the past that expressing one's thoughts onto paper is really helpful. He has an apprentice, a gifted writer of proses. Her name was Euba. She has been assigned to be my tutor. She has told me that her ancestry comes from a distant clan called the Elnac, a group of nomad poets and historians that dutied themselves as carriers of history through verses and songs. If the Sheikah are masters of technology, the Elnac has no equals in the realm of writing. I was honored to have her help to polish my pen.

Tomorrow is to be the third anniversary of our marriage. Three years since I've worn the mantle of king. And three years since the goddesses have blessed us with not one, but two beautiful children: twins. A son that we named Koram Rhoam Amis Hyrule, after Zelda's departed father. And a daughter, Remie Tilia Zelda Hyrule. I still have much to learn on my royal and fatherly duties. But for Zelda, it seems to come so naturally. She was a princess before, after all. I am in awe of her for every moment passed at her side. She is indeed a goddess; my goddess.

I light a lantern on my study. The candle brings a warm and mysterious glow to my surroundings. I lay the small pile of paper sheets onto the table. I sit comfortably, take a deep breath, and as I take the pen in hand, I let my thoughts take control.

Here I go.

***

I remembered, it started at the beginning,
I was to be your knight, and you my duty,
Your eyes gaze, you were uncertain of me,
I knew that you and I were fated destiny,

Day and night, I stood by your side,
Barely wordless, I met with your hatred,
I was a blade master, but none of your heart,
I wanted one thing: us together, not divided,

The Yiga's claws then came for your life,
Sword of bane in hand, I serve and rescued you,
Your kinder self bloomed as you thanked me,
Brave, yet scared of losing you, if you knew,

I vowed to be more vigilant, to never fail,
You held my hand, and ask to lay bare,
Never was I asked that, but my soul cried,
I let go and told you all, free as air,

I smiled more at your side, and so did you,
As if it was you and I, no one else,
Those days of glee that you've given me so,
They filled my heart with untold wealth,

Alas, the Calamity struck. Darkness was everywhere,
Kingdom and Champions gone, we faced Hyrule's fall,
I battled to my might's end, but defeated I was,
Leaving you alone, to face evil of all,

A century had passed, I was renewed from the hurt,
While asleep, your light was our shield to atone,
I fought beasts and demons, yearning your presence,
Shame in my heart that I left you all alone,

The Calamity vanquished, victorious we were,
But I vow yet again to hold strong, to never lose,
You tried to reach my soul, to see my smile again,
Warded by walls again, to be content I refuse,

But once more, you saved me with your light,
Your kindness to my heart, you welcome me,
On that sacred night, the world was just of us,
My lips to yours, my love to you is eternity,

Like before, when it started at the beginning.

***

I hum at the finished writing. While I may never claim to match Euba's prowess, I can say that I'm happy of what I've written. Perhaps I should have her revised it before I can offer it to Zelda.

"What are you up to?" A pair of hands and arms circle me as a gentle face kissed mine. I try to hide my poem from her, but at that distance, it is futile to do so. I was so submerged into the writing that I didn't notice her return from lulling our children to their sleep.

"I..." I say, vivid embarrassment in my voice. "I was... writing you a poem. For our anniversary."

She looks at me, taken a back. Her faces lights up with a lovely light and her smiles captures me whole, heart and soul. It is otherworldly impossible to not fall in love with her every single day. That alone was one of the numerous millions of things that I love about her.

"Could I hear it?" She asks timidly.

I feel uncertain. "I'm not sure you'll like it..."

Her face lowers and kisses my head's side. "If it comes from your heart, how could I not love it?"

And just as such, I am moved by her words. I nod to her with confidence, she replies with glee. She sits on my thigh and I hold her against me. I clear my throat and take a deep breath. She rests her head on mine and her long hair cherishes me.

Here I go. "I remembered, it started at the beginning..."

THE END