PART IV

PART IV

The moon was high in the night sky, reigning like a beautiful goddess. I bathed in its moonlight unable to sleep and thinking about this... moment. If Link's horse's tail hadn't whipped him in the face and broke the tension, I wondered what would have happened.

I could still feel the wet heat of his lips kissing the palm of my hand. I blushed just at the thought of it. My lips couldn't help smiling of happiness; a happiness I've never felt before.

What was wrong with me?, I asked myself ridiculously. I squeezed my kissed palm against my chest, reliving in my latest memories about this instant with nothing but gleefulness in mind.

Link...

Was he asleep as well? Or perhaps not? Should I bother him?

I had to. Well... I wanted to.

I knew it was late, but my heart wouldn't find peace if I didn't settle this on this night.

His room was just next to mine. I didn't want to knock and wake the others out of their slumber. I tried whispering his name. No luck on this attempt. I held and twisted the handle. It was unlocked.

Swinging the door quietly, I gasped, startled to see him sitting by the window. Blessed by the moonlight, he felt asleep there. I was right to think that he wasn't able to sleep either. At least some moments ago.

He looked peaceful, handsome as well. But sword in hand, he was as always vigilant. I couldn't help feeling a bit sad for him. I wished for once that he could truly be at peace, without the need of a blade in his hand. For Hyrule, he represented the hope and the future, but he was no god. He was just a man. But a great man nevertheless. Perhaps the greatest one I've met in my life. And knowing that, I knew in my heart that he would always defend the kingdom against all threats. That was the man he was.

I wanted to talk to him tonight, but after some thoughts, I believe my words could wait tomorrow. I took the cover laying on his bed and opened it wide to cover him. I was a step away from covering him, but the step I took creaked the floor. A high-pitched noise broke through the silent night; along through Link's slumber. His eyes opened sharply and widely, wild and threatening. In a blinding speed, I saw a flash carrying the lunar light hurling itself at my neck; the Master Sword rushing to take my life swiftly and painlessly.

Was my life going to end by Evil's bane because of my care for him? Why did I find this ironic?

The Goddesses decided that my fate wouldn't be death tonight. Link stopped the blade just a hair away from my neck being sliced clean. I could feel the cold of the steel of the sacred blade at my throat. Link recognized me and was horrified of his near-fatal action. Apologizing numerous times, he fell down on the floor with his breath harsh and heavy and his heart racing faster than lightning.

As I stared at him, scared and shocked about what he almost did, I understood. I finally understood everything. The distance, his heart being closed, him being more focused on his knight's duty to protect and defend the kingdom, its people and I. I understood it all.

I knelt to him. His face was sweating as he was still catching his breath. I could see shame and disgust in his eyes aimed at himself.

He had done so much for me. I wasn't going to give up on him when he needed me the most. It was my turn to save him.

I grabbed his hand and held it firmly. I welcomed his confused gaze with a soothing smile.

"Come with me, Link."

To be continued in Part V...