PART V

PART V

We walked in the peaceful night to the Great Fairy Fountain near the village. During this small path, never once I let go of Link's hand. I looked behind me as I led him to our destination and smiled. His face lit brighter than the sun. I was glad he shed away his shock from earlier.

During a full moon, the fountain was a marvel to explore. Fireflies and fairies waltzed gracefully in the air, silent princesses and blue nightshades glowed with a divine light. It was a blessed place, as if the goddesses themselves had given this piece of wonder to us mortals.

We sat down, still holding hands and Link looked very timid. I never thought he could be this adorable. It was a side of his charm; a side I was very fond of.

We remained silent watching the beautiful spectacle of nature around us. It felt like we were the only ones in the entire world. It was perfect as such. Thinking about it, I believed Link and I never took a moment to enjoy ourselves like that. No duty, no destiny, no calamities; just the two of us in peacefulness. A moment that I longed for for a very long time to share with him.

I could feel Link's gaze upon me. I didn't need to look at him to guess he was speechless. Our hands held together, his thumb cherished mine. I knew too well that my face had gained the same shade of a fresh picked apple.

My head rested on his shoulder. It took him by surprise. I could feel he was tensing a little. But he closed the very small remainder of distance between us and sighed in relief.

"You once told me," I said, breaking the silence between us, "that you remained silent from others because it was necessary for you to stay strong to carry any burden. Is this why you have been silently closed from me during these past months? Even though we've won against Ganon?"

Our eyes met. He reluctantly nodded, confirming my discovery. For Link, even though peace had returned to Hyrule, he was still at war.

The fortress around his heart crumbled as he opened up to me, just like before. He told me everything about his burden. He told me about this journey to save our kingdom and free me from my century-old battle with the calamity. As his memories were returning, he felt shame and helplessness that he had to sleep all this time before being enable to save me. The reason why he acted distant was to be ready and never fail again to protect me.

"I understand now," I replied to his explanation, relieved. "But I, too, wished I could have been by your side, Link. I as well felt helpless when I couldn't help you during your journey. But your courage showed me to never give up as I saw all that you went through. It gave me faith that we would be together again to never to torn apart."

I stopped for a moment realizing the words I just spoke. The Great Deku tree was right; telling these feelings myself sounded better.

"Link," I said. "You're not alone. You'll never be. As for any burden you may have from now on, I want to carry it with you. Because I, too, vow to protect you and be at your side."

His face was embedded with a sense of serenity that I haven't seen in ages. The fear, the sense of duty, the burden, everything else weighting him down; they melted away giving place to a rebirth of self that he dearly needed. He smiled and nodded. There I saw him; the Link I wanted to see. He had returned to me.

He called my name. "Yes?" I asked. Link got on his feet and I followed him.

I stood in front him, hands still holding each other. His free hand laced itself with my other one. His eyes plunged in mine with a lovely but intense fire in them. I couldn't gaze away from them. He looked a little nervous and his face flushed like the shiniest among rubies. So did mine. He slowly closed the small space between us. I didn't know which emanated heat the most; this summer night or Link's body. I was rather attracted by the latter. He looked so timid at the moment, yet he was so... perfect. The warm light of the fireflies and fairies surrounding us, the glow of the flowers at our feet, the moon blessing us, and Link, standing so close to me. How could I ask for anything more?

"What is it?" I asked. My voice was soft and whispering.

He answered, but words didn't come out of his mouth. He flared my heart and soul to no bound as his lips gently embraced mine. My arms snaked around his neck to savor this feeling even more. His arms pulled me closer to him. This delicious feeling embedding my whole being had no word invented yet to describe it. Calling it celestial, divine, majestic or supreme wouldn't do it justice.

A century had put us apart and many hardships followed. But finally, our happy ending bloomed on this starry night. If I had to do it all over again to cherish this moment with him, I would do it blindfolded. As he would, too.

Oh, Link... How have I fallen in love with you.

To be continued in Epilogue...