14 - Betrayal

Anna P.O.V

It was eerily quiet when I was walking down the path, and the shouts from the group arguing had faded in to the woods. A small breeze rustled the leaves scattered across the ground. Neverland was really beautiful. Suddenly the path lead to a clearing, and slumped down by a tree was Peter.

"Peter?" I asked, cautiously approaching him.

"Anna, please go away"

"No. Peter please let me talk to you about this" I said, surprisingly calm - especially for me.

He sighed heavily, before turning to look at me. "You're ruining everything Anna. My plan to live is pretty much fucked. If you stay with me then I will die."

"Peter, there has to be another way. I love you so much, but I'm not gonna let you kill this kid! It would hurt my friends!"

"How are they your friends?! They've hurt you much more than I have, but you're being blinded by them!"

"Peter they helped me when they had every right to kill me. I owe them so much! You don't understand-"

"YOU ACT LIKE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHOSE EVER BEEN HURT! YOU'RE SUCH A SELFISH BITCH!" he yelled, scaring the shit out of me. 

I opened my mouth to reply, but then shut it again. As much as it hurt to hear such cruel words from him, it was true. I was selfish. Peter was evil, and I had the power to stop him, but I wasn't. I looked up to face him, and he immediately looked away.

"Anna... I didn't mean that..." he started

"No, you're right. I'm selfish, but you know what? You are too. You're planning to kill an innocent boy just so you can be immortal. There has to be another way for you to survive, and I will help you, but only if you let me."

He paused, looked away from me, then back again. "Anna, you have no idea how much it pains me, but I have to do this. And if you want to stop me, then we are no more."

I stared at him, looking deep in to his eyes, searching for any hint showing that he was bluffing, but he wasn't. He would rather leave me than spare Henry's life. "Then go." I said coldly, refusing to let my emotions show. 

I felt his eyes on me, but I didn't look up to meet his gaze. It was as if he wasn't expecting me to agree to this. Like he assumed I would crumble and beg for him. Did he think I was weak? "Well... that's it then" he said, anger threatening to spill out. "But you better fucking leave Neverland, or I won't let you off next time the lost boys find you and your friends" and just like that, he was gone.

Tears spilled out and poured down my cheeks. I'd failed my friends, and lost Peter. I fell to the ground and let it all out. But my meltdown didn't last for long, as when I looked up I noticed something poking out from the bushes. A broken arrow.

I picked myself up and slowly approached the arrow, before picking it up and examining it. It was just a regular arrow, and I would've tossed it away if I hadn't noticed something odd on the arrowhead. Dreamshade.

I hadn't considered what it must've look like to see a teenage girl crying on the floor holding a poisoned arrow, so it got me by surprise when the arrow dropped to the ground as I felt arms wrap around me and hold me close, and I cried, and cried, and cried.