Never Late

Xiao Zhan sat in front of his therapist. He had anger management issues and his brother made him attend this therapy. The doctor kept blabbering on and on about control and patience. Xiao Zhan kept glancing at his watch begging the time to go faster.

The doctor saw that the man in front of paid no attention to what he was saying. He really wanted to throw him out of the office. He was willing to bet his life that the other man wanted it too. But he had to control himself. So he gave him some more instructions and asked him to leave. He swears that he saw his face light up when he told him he was ending this session.

The doctor was done for the day. He packed his bag and went home. He couldn't wait to get to his apartment where his boyfriend was waiting for him for their date. But as soon as he got out he saw Xiao Zhan standing near his car. He took a deep breath and went towards him.
"Why haven't you left yet ?" He asked him.
" Jiang Cheng dropped me here. My flat is on the way to your house so can you drop me back. "
"Sure. Get in. " Said Haikuan.
After getting in he said, "Zhan, You do know that if you weren't my boyfriend's brother I would have thrown you out of the office. "
Zhan chuckled, " And you do know that if it weren't for my brother I wouldn't be in your office in the first place ? "

Haikuan shook his head. " Why don't you just try Zhan? "
"Because I don't think there is something wrong with me. "
" Two days ago you hit a guy because he bumped with you. "
" I didnt hit him. I just pushed him. He tripped. And it was not because he bumped with me. It was because he called me blind and old. "
"So you hit him?"
"No I pushed him. He tripped and fell ! "
"Oh my god Zhan. You! You know what forget it. Your place is here. Get off now. "
"Yeah . Ok. See you next time doctor! "
Haikuan just shook his head and took off.
Zhan chuckled and went inside. He lives in a flat at the third floor. He was just going to get inside the building when a ball hit him on the shoulder.
He hissed in pain and picked up the ball. He saw a kid running towards him. He was really familiar with the kid. Out of everybody in the building, it was only the kid who had the guts to talk to him and argue with him.
" Can you please give me the ball back." The kid said with a blank look.
"Don't you know that you are not supposed to play here. "
" There is no other place to play. "
" People walk by here. They could get hurt. "
" People should look around and walk."
" Oh, then is it my fault for not having eyes at the back of my head. "
" Yes. "
" You brat. Didn't your mother teach you to talk with respect to your elders? "
" No. "
" No wonder. Kids like you- "
" What do you mean by kids like him?" A new voice spoke.
Zhan looked up to see a young man with groceries in his hand and a bag on his shoulder. The man was fair with hair covering his forehead. He looked around the same age as Zhan. He was breathing heavily and his eyes were red and glassy. The man came near him and stood in front of him looking into his eyes.
" I asked what is wrong with kids like him. " The young man asked him pausing between each word.
Zhan fumbled a bit and said, " Well kids like him don't know what respect is. Neither do they know how to talk or how to behave. "
" What do you mean kids like him. What type of kid do you think he is? "
The man seemed to be furious.
Zhan now realised what he had said to the kid. That was no way to talk to a kid. In his anger he didn't realise what he was speaking.
Zhan hesitated. He fumbled with words. However the young man in front of him stood straight, glaring at him.
Zhan let out a loud breath and said, " I am sorry. I didn't mean to say things like that. Its my fault. "
Then knelt down and said sorry to the kid too.
When he got back up he saw that the man was relaxed. He was no longer glaring at him.
"I am Xiao Zhan. " He said.

" Wang Yibo. This is Wang Yuan. My son. "
Zhan nodded and walked back.

************************************

It was about 10 at night. Haikuan was standing on the balcony talking to his brother. He disconnected the call and went in when his husband called him for their dinner.

" How is Yibo? " Asked Jiang Cheng as Haikuan sat down on the table.

" He is good. He was telling me that he finally met his neighbour. "

" He did. Finally. So, who is it? "

" Well its a guy. Not a good first impression. They both had a fight today. Something related to Ayuan. But the guy apologized. "

"Oh. Well did he tell you his name? "

"No. You know him. "

Jiang Cheng sighed. And said, " How long is he going to hide from us? "

Haikuan's face fell at that. He hadn't seen his brother for a year now. Apart from the occasional video calls, he had not met his brother or visited him. Six years ago his family had disowned his brother when they found out he was pregnant. Haikuan had a stable job then, so he looked after him without his family's knowledge. However they eventually came to know about it and Yibo left his house without telling him. Ever since then Yibo has always been running. Whenever he came close to finding gis place Yibo would move immediately. Finally getting tired of it, Yibo begged Haikuan to not follow him. And Haikuan complied.

Jiang Cheng saw the look on his husband's face. He said, " If you want to see him, I can ask someone to search about him. " Being a police officer it wouldn't be hard for Jiang Cheng to find Yibo's whereabouts.

But Haikuan immediately refused him. " NO! He made me promise him that I wouldn't follow him or he would leave forever.....Its better this way. Atleast I still see him without upsetting my family. "

Jiang Cheng nodded. The rest of the dinner was spent in silence. Jiang Cheng tried to initiate a conversation but Haikuan was not in a mood to talk.

************************************

Wang Yibo was taking the trash out. He had just put the bag of trash in the dustbin when he bumped with his neighbour.

Xiao Zhan was going out for a walk. He was talking to his brother on the phone so he didn't see the person in front of him. He looked up and saw Yibo with a bag of trash in his hand.
"Sorry " he stated and was about to walk away when Yibo asked, " Don't you have eyes? "
" I said I was sorry. Didn't I? " Said Xiao Zhan his voice raising.

" What are you shouting at me for? And sorry doesn't solve anything. "

" What do you want me to do ? Fall at your feet begging for forgiveness ? "

" Maybe. "

Zhan scoffed and walked away.

"Hey!" Yibo called out from behind but Zhan didn't mind him and continued his talk with his brother.

" Did you just walk away from an argument without punching someone? " Asked his brother.

" Yeah. So? It was not a big deal. Its my fault anyway. "

" Oh my God!!! Are you alright? "

" Stop overreacting. I just didn't feel like arguing with him that's all. So what were you saying? "

" Nothing. Just take care. Talk to you tomorrow. "

" Yeah.Ok . Bye. "

Zhan continued his walk while Jiang Cheng went to his husband to share the happiest news of the day.

" Haikuan, you won't believe what just happened. "

Haikuan who was laying on his bed scrolling through his phone looked up at his husband.

"What? " He asked.

" Zhan just walked away from an argument. He didn't even shouted at the guy . Yeah he raised his voice a bit. And the argument was also so stupid. The guy was definitely overreacting but he just walked away and- " he looked at his Haikuan who was watching him with a smile on his face.
" I know its silly. But its just that, you know him. He is always fighting people and- "

Haikuan silenced him with a hand on his shoulder. He said, " I understand. You know Yibo is just like him. Always fighting. That was his way pf dealing with all the frustrations at home. He would shout or fight at the silliest of matters. And I always worried for him. So I do understand how happy you must be feeling now. Zhan has made a good progress. "

Jiang Cheng was grateful. They slept that night peacefully in each other's embrace. While their brothers slept with the thoughts of each other in their mind.