Never Late 4

Zhan was waiting patiently at the counter. It was intervel and he had volunteered to buy popcorn and drinks for everybody. It was their first get together after the almost successful dinner a week ago. Almost being the key word.

When Haikuan visited Yibo, he had never thought that he would be meeting Yibo's boyfriend. What came as a bigger shock was that that it was Zhan. He wanted to protest. He wanted to scold Yibo for his poor choice in men, but one look at him and he couldn't bring the words in his heart to his lips. His brother was scared.Yibo was expecting him to behave the same way as their parents. His initial reaction was not much different from them. Haikuan vividly remembered they day their parents threw Yibo out. To this day he regrets not following Yibo out. Not being able to see his brother or his nephew even once was his punishment. He did not want to go through that again.

So he looked at Yibo and said, " It is good to hear that you found someone Bo. "

Then he looked at Zhan and said, " That too someone I know too well."

His back was towards Yibo , so Yibo missed how he was gritting his teeth to suppress the anger.

But Zhan who stood in front of him  could see it very. That combined with Cheng's fuming face made him scared. Very scared. He pulled Ayuan closer to him as an armour against the brothers. Yibo sensed the tension in the room. He saw how Zhan was squirming under their gaze. He tried to break the ice by inviting them to the dinning table. Both the brothers decided to stay quiet for the time being and proceeded to the dinning table.

Zhan made Ayuan sit on a chair, right beside Haikuan, while he and Yibo proceeded to serve the dishes. Ayuan though talkative, was now feeling shy in the presence of two strangers. Haikuan who had last seen him when he was an infant was moved to tears. Looking at Ayuan he realised just how long it had since he last saw his brother. But he discreetly wiped them. He lowered himself to Ayuan's height.

"Hey buddy" he called him.

Ayuan raised his eyes. Haikuan smiled at him.

" How are you? " He asked.

" Fine" Ayuan mumbled.

" Nice. Do you know who I am? "

Ayuan nodded. " Who? " Haikuan asked his voice merely a whisper.

" Uncle. " Ayuan answered.

And then the tears Haikuan was keeping at bay, flowed out of his eyes. He gave a teary smile to the younger and sat straight. His plate was filled. His brother had made him his favourite. The tears did not stop. He kept his face bowed, hoping no one would notice them. But someone did. Zhan. He was filling the glasses with water when he noticed the interaction between Haikuan and Ayuan. He wanted to keep the glass beside his plate but was afraid he would disturb them, so he waited patiently. He just smiled when he noticed the tears. He quietly placed the glass beside Haikuan. He filled another glass to give to his brother. When he raised his head to look towards his brother, he realised that his brother was already looking at him. More like glaring at him. He gulped. Zhan placed the glass on the table and slid it towards Cheng and then hurried to the other side of the table. There were only four chairs. He picked up Ayuan and placed him on his lap. He sighed at having escaped from his brother's sight. But then he looked beside him. Haikuan was glaring at him. His red rimmed eyes the only evidence that he was crying. He was looking at him with a stone cold look. Zhan awkwardly smiled and mumbled a " Hello sir" completely forgetting that he was his brother in law.

Luckily for him Yibo came back from the kitchen with a warm dish in his hands which he placed on the table and sat on the empty chair. He took Ayuan from Zhan and sat him on his lap and fed him. While feeding himself simultaneously. Zhan made sure to put more food into his plate while Yibo was busy feeding Ayuan. And this didn't go un noticed from the eyes of their brothers. The dinner went relatively silent except for Haikuan enquiring about how Yibo was doing.