2. the importance of closing pages from the past

A/N: for those who are confused - I watched a video that gave me new information, so Caitlin is living on her own, and so is Lia for now (modified last chapter)

CAITLIN

My first training with this new team went quite well - indeed, everybody was really good yet very encouraging, and although it was hard for me to find my place in the first hour, the last thirty minutes or so of today's morning session showed that I actually belonged. The encouraging words from my teammates - especially Leah, Jordan, the Aussies and Beth Mead, among others. Overall, I was satisfied with my performance, but it wasn't perfect. 

We are heading to the dinner room when Beth wraps an arm around my shoulders and asks:

"So, how you likin' London so far, mate?"

I smirk. 

"Honestly, I didn't think I'd feel so at ease here" I respond, sincere. While Beth taps my back, happy with my answer, I add: "But you know, the teammates are average..."

DVD - Daan - who overheard our conversation, comes from behind and hits my head playfully, as the three of us laugh. Then, I sit down in front of Jordan, who was in a deep conversation with Leah about which one of them was right about something. They both had their phones out to verify, while Viv and Lisa were making fun of them. 

After a while, when we are already eating our lunch, the room's door opens, and Steph makes her entrance, accompanied by Lia Wälti. Once again, I am struck by her intense green eyes, although she did not even look my way. 

Frowning, I just soon change my attitude and offer one of my best friends a big smile, while she quickly hugs me and sits down next to me. The rest of lunch break goes on quickly, before it is time to hit the gym already - this time with the injured in the group. The scene was set, as the team was split up in pairs in order to do the exercises: indeed, while one player would perform the said exercises, the other would assist her, and vice versa. 

When I realise I was paired with Lia, I just sigh: she was the person that seemed to be the shyest, and also the less enthusiastic of me joining the team. When I walk toward her, however, she greets me with a shy smile and says in a cute yet specific accent:

"Sorry, you're stuck with me."

I smirk, before nervously saying:

"Well, I should be apologising: I'm an hyperactive, remember?"

Lia smirks as well, before we start to do the exercises. 

The circuit lasts 7 minutes, with one minute breaks in between the workouts. Although we were performing then in utter silence at first, I was oddly feeling at ease. While she was doing her abs, I was holding her legs and feet on the ground.

During one of our breaks, she turns to me and asks:

"So, where do you live now? I heard you're in one of the subvention apartments?"

"Yep" I nod, smirking, "I live down Bakery Street. You?"

"I live in Richmond"

"You live on your own or...?" I ask, really curious.

Given the sad smile Lia soon has on her lips, I know I fucked up at some point. It is not until she reveals the sad truth to me that I get how stupid I was to have asked that:

"Alone. I was living with my girlf-- ex-girlfriend months ago, but she left."

"I'm sorry" I immediately apologise, feeling like a moron. While Lia nods her head with a frown, I add: "Break ups are hard, especially when you live with the person."